Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows 7 I/O error

• Please log in to reply

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
We cam continue here when you are ready.
I canwill post the instructions below on how to test the hd if you want to check that for sure.

Run hard drive diagnostics: http://www.tacktech....ay.cfm?ttid=287
Make sure, you select tool, which is appropriate for the brand of your hard drive.
Depending on the program, it'll create bootable floppy, or bootable CD.
If downloaded file is of .iso type, use ImgBurn: http://www.imgburn.com/ to burn .iso file to a CD (chose "Write image file to disc" option), and make the CD bootable.

NOTE. If your hard drive is made by Toshiba, try the Hitachi DFT CD Image version of the software

Thanks to Broni for the instructions

Advertisements

Angela71

Angela71

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
Excuse my ignorance but I can't test the HD until after I have re-installed Windows is that right? Cause obviously I can't get my laptop to take me anywhere except the error message to do anything right now...

Also, how do I determine the brand of my HD?

Edited by Angela71, 26 June 2013 - 11:31 AM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Nope if you get the DOS CD ISO and create the disk as instructed then the disk will be self bootable. Restart the laptop with the disk in the cdrom drive and make sure it boots to the cdrom first. If done right it will boot straight to diagnostics. Now some diagnostics have a short test and a long test. I need to make sure you run the long or extended test.

Angela71

Angela71

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
Ok, RShaffer, I got the Windows Recovery disks from Toshiba. It didn't work. I re-started the laptop to boot from the CD, inserted it and the laptop attempted to load Windows files and then the "starting windows" icon came up and stayed up indefinitely....nothing else happened. Where to go from here?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK I'm a little confused. Did you boot the laptop with the cd already in?
The recovery disk won't test the hd but only reinstall windows.
What I need to know is if the the hd is seen in the bios and if so then you need to run the diagnostics on it using the instructions from post 31.

Angela71

Angela71

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
I had tried your suggestions in posts 31 & 33 but when I tried to boot from the CD my laptop did absolutely nothing. It was as if there was nothing on the disc at all so I gave up on that quickly...maybe it was user error, I don't know....
Anyway, in previous posts I thought we had already determined that the HD is being seen in the bios and thus my problem isn't the HD because when I go in to F2 to change the "boot from" the HD is listed....? That's the reason I ordered the Windows recovery discs as per previous instructions in post #23 when you gave me Toshiba's contact information....I guess I'm a little confused too :)

Edited by Angela71, 13 July 2013 - 08:11 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I'm just trying to eliminate anything we may have missed.
I was asking if you had the recovery disk in the cdrom when you started the laptop or did you put it in after starting the laptop?

Angela71

Angela71

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
First, I put the recovery CD in the laptop when I started it and then when that didn't work I inserted it after starting the laptop, so it was tried both ways with the same result.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Once you have inserted it then reboot the system. That way the disk should be seen. Are you sure it is booting to the cdrom and not the hard drive? It should ask you to push any button to boot to the cdrom.

Angela71

Angela71

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
I've gone into the BIOS and selected the CDROM as the "boot to first" so yes it is booting from the CDROM. I have already rebooted the system after inserting the CD but I will try again and let you know...

Advertisements

Angela71

Angela71

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
Tried it again as instructed with the same results. The first thing that happened is a white bar at the bottom of the screen goes from left to right slowly saying, "windows is loading files" and then the Windows startup screen appears saying, "starting windows" and then nothing.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
How long does it stay on the last window and does it ever change? How long have you allowed it to stay there before shutting down?

Angela71

Angela71

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
Last night it was on the windows startup screen for 2 hours before I finally shut it down. No, it never changes.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK I apologize if I am repeating something with the next set of instructions.

You can download a legal copy of Windows 7 with SP1 integrated from here:

Windows 7 Direct Download Links

Make sure you get the same version you have, Home Premium, Pro or Ultimate and 32 or 64 bit. Note that Basic or Starter is not available.

I recommend using ImgBurn at 4X speed (or the slowest available) to create the DVD from the downloaded .iso file.

You can do this on any computer capable of burning a DVD.

YOU MUST HAVE A VALID KEY TO INSTALL THIS .ISO. The one on the COA sticker on your computer will work.

You can also create a bootable USB Flash drive (4GB or larger) to install Windows 7 from.
  • Download and run Universal USB Installer – Easy as 1 2 3
  • Select Windows 7 from the first drop down list, all the way to the bottom
  • Select the downloaded Windows 7 iso file
  • Select your USB flash drive
  • Click Create
For techies or folks who work on computers: Create Windows 7 Universal ISO With All Editions Selection On Install with ei.cfg Removal Utility.
This will fit on a 6GB flash drive or can be burned to a DVD.

Angela71

Angela71

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
How is this going to work any differently on my laptop than installing the ones that Toshiba sent me? Also, I would prefer to create it on a flash drive but how do I tell my laptop to boot from it?

Edited by Angela71, 14 July 2013 - 10:35 AM.