Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows 7 I/O error

• Please log in to reply

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Wow hanging there is a indicator the drive might be the issue but I think we checked the hd and it checked out good.

Advertisements

Angela71

Angela71

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
We didn't officially "test" it but it did show up in the BIOS...

So do you recommend going ahead with replacing the HD?

Edited by Angela71, 15 July 2013 - 06:40 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Actually I would like to test it but if memory serves me right wasn't there a problem reading the disk or something?

Angela71

Angela71

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
Yes, it was as if the laptop wasn't able to see anything at all on the disk. I could try again but would prefer to use a flash drive if that's even possible...

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
The only way to use a flash drive is if your system is capable of booting to a usb drive. If so then the instructions I think I posted for Digital River also has a link on how to make the USB flash bootable drive.

Angela71

Angela71

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
Yes, it can do that. I used a flash drive to do this most recent troubleshooting with Windows 7. What post # is it that I need to use, do you know? I don't want to use the wrong instructions.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Post 44 but I'll post the info again below.

You can download a legal copy of Windows 7 with SP1 integrated from here:

Windows 7 Direct Download Links

Make sure you get the same version you have, Home Premium, Pro or Ultimate and 32 or 64 bit. Note that Basic or Starter is not available.

I recommend using ImgBurn at 4X speed (or the slowest available) to create the DVD from the downloaded .iso file.

You can do this on any computer capable of burning a DVD.

YOU MUST HAVE A VALID KEY TO INSTALL THIS .ISO. The one on the COA sticker on your computer will work.

You can also create a bootable USB Flash drive (4GB or larger) to install Windows 7 from.
  • Download and run Universal USB Installer – Easy as 1 2 3
  • Select Windows 7 from the first drop down list, all the way to the bottom
  • Select the downloaded Windows 7 iso file
  • Select your USB flash drive
  • Click Create
For techies or folks who work on computers: Create Windows 7 Universal ISO With All Editions Selection On Install with ei.cfg Removal Utility.
This will fit on a 6GB flash drive or can be burned to a DVD.

Angela71

Angela71

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
Thank you! I'm at work right now (working of course....lol!!). I will do this tonight when I get home and get back to you!

Angela71

Angela71

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
Oops....post #44 and your latest instructions are to download Windows 7....is that what we wanna do? I thought we were testing the HD.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
This part below shows how to make a bootable USB drive.

You can also create a bootable USB Flash drive (4GB or larger) to install Windows 7 from.

Download and run Universal USB Installer – Easy as 1 2 3
Select Windows 7 from the first drop down list, all the way to the bottom
Select the downloaded Windows 7 iso file
Select your USB flash drive
Click Create

You should be able to simply replace the Win7 entry with the ISO file for the HD diagnostics.

Advertisements

Angela71

Angela71

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
I'm really confused. Aren't we now wanting to test the HD? We've already attempted to load/recover Windows 7...

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Yes we are trying to test the HD.

Follow the instructions below and the part in red you are replacing with the ISO file for the HD diagnostics test.

Download and run Universal USB Installer – Easy as 1 2 3
Select Windows 7 from the first drop down list, all the way to the bottom
Select the downloaded Windows 7 iso file Choose the HD ISO file you downloaded before.
Select your USB flash drive
Click Create

If you don't have the HD ISO then get it from the link below and then follow the steps above to make the flash drive bootable using the hd ISO file.

Run hard drive diagnostics: http://www.tacktech....ay.cfm?ttid=287
Make sure, you select tool, which is appropriate for the brand of your hard drive.
Depending on the program, it'll create bootable floppy, or bootable CD.

NOTE. If your hard drive is made by Toshiba, try the Hitachi DFT CD Image version of the software

Thanks to Broni for the instructions

Angela71

Angela71

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
Okay, got it...thanks!

Angela71

Angela71

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
I'm not sure which HD ISO to select for download. My HD is a Toshiba brand but the only choices are:
1. Windows Diagnostic for Windows 2000, XP & Vista
2. DOS Diagnostic which runs only under DOS from a bootdisk
3. Diagnostic tool 2.3 for Windows NT, 98, 2000, 2003, XP.

Which one do I download?

Also, whichever one I choose they are all .zip files. I thought it was an .iso file?

....Or do I choose something under "if your HD is made by Toshiba try the Hitachi DFT" one and if so what exactly do I choose there? Sorry :( too many choices confuses me really badly and I freeze.

Edited by Angela71, 16 July 2013 - 08:10 AM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
2. DOS Diagnostic which runs only under DOS from a bootdisk

They show up as zip files usually because there is no program associated with ISO's so the zip programs sees them by default. Which manufacturer are you using to get the above file?