Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

new sata hdd problem on win xp

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

toothless420

toothless420

• PipPip
  • 29 posts
hi
i have this issue with my new hdd western digital caviar blue 1tb sata

i already have a sata drive installed and it work fine on its own. but when i install the new one, the bios see it but windows does not ( not even in the disk management ) but it does show in the peripheral management

partition magic see it but show it as 2 tb and wont format it arconis true image also see it as 2 tb but wont format it i run the western digital data lifeguard software it show no problem

i have installed windows directly on it and it work fine i can even add the other hdd with it just fine
but when i switch back to using the windows installation on my normal hdd it wont see the new one

i could simply use the windows installation that recognize all the hdd but this would mean having to install all my stuff again and i dont want to unless there is no other way as if it work one way it should work the other way around to

anyone have any idea on how to solve this issue ?
thanks

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Before you format you have to setup the partition. In both scenarios you stated partition magic and Acronis see it but won't format. Did you setup the partition first?

toothless420

toothless420

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
yes even when i installed windows on it it made the partition but wont be recognized in my other instance of windows

another info is when i boot it boot on the new hdd windows i have to manually choose to get on my old one

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Are the two windows the same or is one XP and the other Win7?
Also are the installed on the same drive or different drives?

toothless420

toothless420

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
both are win xp pro
one is on the old sata drive (current working setup) and the other is on the new hdd that wont be recognized by the current working setup

so the new hdd work on his own but wont work with the old one at least not if i dont use the windows on it

so if it is able to run windows and see all the other drive while on it (new hdd)
there must me something i am missing that prevent the other drive from seeing it when windows is runing it the old hdd

Edited by toothless420, 26 June 2013 - 12:50 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Tell you what I need you to do the following but I need it for both the old hd and the new hd.

Go to Start then to Run
Type in compmgmt.msc and click Enter
On left side click on Disk Management
On right side you will see you hard drive.
Male sure the window is open all the way on the top right so I can see all the info it has.
Now I need you to take a screenshot and attach it to your next reply. Do the following to take a screenshot while the above is open and showing on your desktop.

To do a screenshot please have click on your Print Screen on your keyboard. It is normally the key above your number pad between the F12 key and the Scroll Lock key
Now go to Start and then to All Programs
Scroll to Accessories and then click on Paint
In the Empty White Area click and hold the CTRL key and then click the V
Go to the File option at the top and click on Save as
Save as file type JPEG or PNG and save it to your Desktop
Make sure the window is open all the way so I can see everything on the top right window.

Attach it to your next reply

toothless420

toothless420

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
here i attached the 2 scree shot

my windows is in french tho i duno if this will be a problem for you but i can translate the tab for you if needed

Attached Thumbnails

• new hdd.PNG
  • old hdd.PNG

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK the second one that doesn't show the other drive is that the old drive?
Do you know what SP is installed on that windows?

toothless420

toothless420

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
the one showing only 1 drive is the old one on xp sp3 up to date
and the new one is a fresh install of win xp with nothing else at all

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK strange because if anything the new one should be the problem because the SP is not 3 yet according to what you said.

Let me ask does the bios see both drives?

Advertisements

toothless420

toothless420

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
yes

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK strange for sure.
Let me see if I can research this a little more to find a resolution. :thumbsup:

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Do me a favor and in the old drive where it doesn't see the new drive please go to the device manager and let me know if you see any yellow exclamation marks.

Please Go to

1: START and the click on RUN
2: Type in devmgmt.msc
3: Click Enter

To do a screenshot please have click on your Print Screen on your keyboard. It is normally the key above your number pad between the F12 key and the Scroll Lock key
Now go to Start and then to All Programs
Scroll to Accessories and then click on Paint
In the Empty White Area click and hold the CTRL key and then click the V
Go to the File option at the top and click on Save as
Save as file type JPEG and save it to your Desktop

Attach it to your next reply

toothless420

toothless420

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
hehe yeah i been searching all over for this on my side to
and this is quite a weird issue i think its likely a stupid little thing i missed but to find out what it is is the problem

must be related to the fact it try to boot from the new hdd first even when i set it as 3rd in bios and wont boot at all when i remove it from the list but boot back normally when i physically unplug it

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
There should be Sata 1, Sata 2 and so forth parked on the motherboard. Is the original drive on SATA 1 and the new one on SATA 2 or 3?