Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

new sata hdd problem on win xp

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

toothless420

toothless420

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
odly enough the new one is sata 1 and the original is sata 2
should i try switching the wire around ?

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Yep try that.

toothless420

toothless420

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
nothing changed beside the fact instead of booting from the new hdd it now ask me to choose what instance of windows to boot from

also forgot to add from the start it was in the device manager tab could uninstall it and have it be recognized again but it didnt change much

just throwing all the info i can in here maybe it can help

Edited by toothless420, 26 June 2013 - 03:01 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Yep thats what it should do since I'm guessing you installed Windows on the second drive with the old drive still connected. The boot manager would then put a entry in the boot sequence where you had to choose which one to boot to.
Can you still not see the second drive now that you have changed them?

toothless420

toothless420

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
nope all is same as before just that one thing changed

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK this is confusing. Let me ask some of my other techs if they have ever seen this before.

toothless420

toothless420

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
i went to check on the device manager and when i chose it and go volume and populate it i get disk 0 type unknown state unreadable and partition type none

but general say that the device is working properly
the emplacement is bus number 0 target id 0 lun 0

sound like it could be related
any idea?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Could be a faulty drive but then you should not have been able to partition it , format and then install a OS on it.
I'm still waiting for a response form the other tech staff to see what they can come up with.

toothless420

toothless420

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
yeah thats why i didnt send it back as they would have sent me a new one and would most likely do the same thing
im looking on my end and will post whatever i come up with that i think is relevant

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,330 posts
If I may intrude with a question

Is your WD 1tb THE model WD10EZEX or the WD10EALX?

WD10EZEX as 64mb cache and uses AF (Advanced Format Architecture 4096 bytes) technology

WD10EALX as 32mb cache and uses the legacy architecture 512 bytes format technology

If yours is the EZEX and your formated it using the 512 bytes and have not set the jumper to the legacy architecture setting then your drive will erratically work

With an OS installed on your new hd you can see it when booting on it but the old os is having issues recognizing it.

The WD solution for Windows XP set up is to use the jumper (only if one partition) or use a program called WDAlign (if wanting to create more than one partition or cloning)
http://www.wdc.com/e...cts.aspx?id=770

May not be related but an avenue to check

Advertisements

toothless420

toothless420

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
i have the EZEX and i did the align program and it saw it and said it was aligned unlabelled

there might be something to that im looking to what i can find

im thinking of running the windows install and simply deleting the partition from there and see if the align program will see it different

nope didn't do anything

il try the jumper i want to use it as a storage to replace my old one who died

Edited by toothless420, 26 June 2013 - 08:41 PM.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 6,758 posts
Gday.

il try the jumper i want to use it as a storage to replace my old one who died

Then I would leave the jumpers in the default configuration.
Disconnect the old HDD.
Format the new drive.
Reconnect the old drive, power on.

toothless420

toothless420

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
the default is no jumper at all
or did you mean the jumper placed to do the advanced format ?

no result without any jumper (default)

Edited by toothless420, 26 June 2013 - 10:25 PM.

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,330 posts
Early 3.5-inch WD drives with Advanced Format supported jumper pins 7 8. Placing a jumper on these pins adjusted the drives internal alignment for single partition XP installations. Support for this jumper setting is no longer needed on newer drives. For optimal performance on all XP installations WD recommends running the WD Align utility.

If you have a drive that supports jumper pins 7 8 and have a jumper in place on those pins, the following is additional information to assist you if you are re-installing an Operating System or re-partitioning the drive:

IMPORTANT: You must backup your drive before making any changes, including removal of the jumper.

Re-partition the drive: Turn off power to the drive and remove the jumper from pins 7 8. Power-on and re-partition the drive (NOTE: All previous data on the drive will be lost).

Preserve Current Partition: If you are installing an Operating System over the existing partition, keep the jumper on pins 7 8. The drive is already aligned to the existing partition so you do not need to remove the jumper.

If you change the setting of jumper 7 8, you will lose all previous data and the drive must be re-partitioned.

toothless420

toothless420

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
sound good i will try that in a bit see if it change anything i just want to use it for storage anyway
il get back to you if it did or did not work once i get to it

but seeing as its doing the same as the align tool i dont have much hope for the jumper still worth a shot

Edited by toothless420, 26 June 2013 - 11:24 PM.