Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

new sata hdd problem on win xp

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

toothless420

toothless420

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
nope didnt do anything

i also tryed an old faulty
WD1001fals caviar black that sound like a popcorn machine
and workerd flawlessly first shot it is 32mb cache
so it sound like the 64mb cache is the issue
just need to find a way to make it work then i guess

Edited by toothless420, 27 June 2013 - 01:21 AM.

Advertisements

toothless420

toothless420

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
just to make sure i do the jumper thing correctly
i shut down the pc put jumper in 7 8 unplug the old hdd start it up with windows cd in delete/create partition from there close the computer again plug the old hdd back in and start normally

anything im not doing right?

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts

just to make sure i do the jumper thing correctly
i shut down the pc put jumper in 7 8 unplug the old hdd start it up with windows cd in delete/create partition from there close the computer again plug the old hdd back in and start normally

anything im not doing right?

Using the jumper can only be done if you have never formated it in xp prior to putting the jumper in place

If formated with xp prior to putting the jumper in place do not use the jumper but use wdalign

If you put the jumper after it as already been formated with XP the BIOS and Windows will not see the HD

So in your case since you formated the drives by installing windows xp on it you should only use the wdalign option

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
WOW this is all new to me also. I never had to go through all this when I built my system with 3 WD SATA drives.

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts
If you really want to try the jumper solution you can try (not sure if it will work) to delete all partition using a third party program and boot from it to delete an d zero fill your partition then after it is empty and no parttion you can try to use the jumper to see if it will be recognize.

Step 1: Take the jumper out
Step 2: remove your old HD and only connect your new one
Step 3: using your third party program (DBAN, WD Lifegard ect) boot from it and erase everything on it
Step 4: Once you drive is empty and unallocated turn off your computer
Step 5: Put the jumper in position 7-8 and restart your computer to see if the BIOS detects it
Step 6: if detected in BIOS connect your old drive and see if windows can now see it
Step 7: if windows can now see it you can now prepare and format the drive like normal

Hope all this will help resolve your problem

Forgot to add that if using the jumper solution you can only have one partition on the HD

Edited by Alzeimer, 27 June 2013 - 07:19 AM.

toothless420

toothless420

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
well this is weird i have the jumper in and both windows(the partition tool and the device manager but not drive manager) and bios still see it just the same as before
basically nothing changed with putting the jumper in and wd align doesnt do anything as i said before with the jumper in it doesnt show it anymore and when i remove it it say the drive is aligned and ready to be used

so im not sure what there is left to try

Edited by toothless420, 27 June 2013 - 12:21 PM.

toothless420

toothless420

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
also a thing i have overlooked but when running the acronis true image tool it see the drive and then try and format/ partition it the drive show as 2tb and give an error while formatting even if i try to make a small 100 g partition

anyone ever heard of this issue ?

as if the align tool work fine then its not the advanced format at fault i would say

Edited by toothless420, 27 June 2013 - 02:12 PM.

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts
Lets recapitulate

You bought a new 1tb hd, when you tried to install it the first time your windows xp did not detect it

You then install xp on the new drive without any problems

When you boot to your old XP you cannot see the hd in disk management but you see it in device manager

and partition magic plus arconis do see the drive but cannot format the hd

Using wdalign did not help as trying the jumper 7-8 position meant for xp installation

When booting on the new xp install you are able to see your other drive but when booting on the old drive you cannot see the new drive

In resume, maybe the new HD is not the problem but your old XP installation that prevents you from seeing the new drive

So if reinstalling XP on your old drive (if you do leave more space for your C: 120gb minimum) is not an option maybe we should start looking as too why your old xp won't see the new HD.

toothless420

toothless420

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
yeah i would opt for that to
even tho i been in contact with a western digital tech and told him the step i did ( and the error given by the tool they provide and they said i should send it to be replaced

even tho i think they usually dont try to see the real issue and just rather send you a new one and hope it fix the issue

the issue is i think partition magic and acronis do see the drive as a 2tb hdd thats what make me cautiou about just starting anew with it only wd lifeguard and windows xp install see it as 1tb

if i can be sure the drive is good i will simply start anew with a fresh install of xp but i cant be sure it will behave as a 2nd drive after a fresh install either even tho i could try with one of the old drive i got and see what happens

i think il have it replaced to be safe and if it does the same then we can check on the windows route
il keep you guys informed on how it end up il be trying a fresh install on another old hdd see if it see it as a 2nd hdd
thanks a bunch for the help so far

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
From your post #31
"i also tryed an old faultyWD1001fals caviar black that sound like a popcorn machine, and workerd flawlessly first shot"
Seems to me, there is nothing wrong with the C drive OS installation but an undifined problem with the new HDD.

il be trying a fresh install on another old hdd see if it see it as a 2nd hdd

As you only want a second HDD for DATA storage and backups, I would not install another OS on the drive. just erase everything, Partition and format.
Restart the computer and test saving some Data.

Advertisements

toothless420

toothless420

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
i would gladly do so but it will not be seen by windows
so if i want to see if a fresh install of windows would even work
i do not want to format my current windows yet without being sure it is the issue
so to test this i would need to install windows on another hdd (old hdd that make tons of noise) and try to have the new one be seen on this
if it does work it mean my current windows have an issue and if it does not it mean the hdd is the issue

sound like a fair way to find out the issue for sure
if not im open to suggestion

Edited by toothless420, 27 June 2013 - 08:55 PM.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
From Post #31. The Clunky drive was seen by the OS.
What was on that drive, another OS? or DATA?

toothless420

toothless420

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
data

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
I am running XP on this machine.
Just connected up an old external drive containing Date. format, create partition, rebooted. I can save to it.
Providing you don't mind losing Data on the clunky drive, try and see what result.

toothless420

toothless420

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
why format the clunky drive it work fine as is i dont see how formatting it will change anything to it being seen

it is the clunky drive i am planing to use to put an os on to see if it recognize the new hdd that windows wont see so i can know for sure if windows is the problem or the hdd is
without losing any data in the process

also the clunky drive was never put in my pc ever before i tried it yesterday its a friend old drive he wanted me to salvage data from

Edited by toothless420, 27 June 2013 - 09:38 PM.