Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Is a sound card in my motherboard?

• Please log in to reply

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,744 posts

I have a wireless modem and that but do i need anything extra for my computer build so i can connect to the internet wireless?

If you mean a wireless router then only the installation software that was provided with the wireless device + the SSID and the network key provided by your ISP, the latter two are the passwords that you need to pair the computer to the wireless router and then gain access to the internet.

Advertisements

Beastlyhex

Beastlyhex

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
So nothing i have to add to my build then?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,744 posts
From my reply #2

Missing from the list is a DVD drive to install the OS and an OS disk itself such as Windows 7 64-bit.

from my reply #8

Do you already have a DVD drive and OS disk.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Gday.

I have a wireless modem and that but do i need anything extra for my computer build so i can connect to the internet wireless?

No, you have WiFi GO, Dual band Wi-Fi 802.11n and Bluetooth 4.0/3.0+HS intagrated on the MB, so nothing else needed.

We still need to know if you are buying a new OS disk? if reusing one? is it downloaded and burned, OEM or a full retail ver.?

Beastlyhex

Beastlyhex

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
I am buying OS on disk :cool:

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Thanks for the update.
It is not our intention to badger you, just insuring that when you start the build, you have nothing missing, hence.
Please confirm if you already have and Optical drive or have one ordered?

Suggest you download the MB user manual from the manufacturers website as it could be updated from the one you receive in the box, also enabling you to familiarize yourself with it.

Do you need a Tutorial on How to Build? or have other questions?

Beastlyhex

Beastlyhex

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
This is my motherboard? I was wondering is a sound card already in it or do i have to buy it separately? http://www.pcworld.c...438628-pdt.html

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,744 posts
Beastlyhex

You can ask as many questions as you need to in this topic if it concerns this build, there is no need to start a new topic if you have another question.

Most MBs made today have very good integrated audio chips including the MB that you have selected, you will gain nothing by fitting an add on sound card unless you spend a lot of money on one + speakers to match the capabilities of the add on sound card.

Your MB has;

Audio
Realtek® ALC898 8-channel high definition audio CODEC
- Absolute Pitch 192khz/24bit true BD lossless sound
- BD audio layer content protection
- DTS UltraPC II
- DTS Connect
- Supports jack-detection, multi-streaming, front panel jack-retasking
- Optical S/PDIF out port at back I/O

Wizdom_09Z

Wizdom_09Z

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
The only caveat I would add to the above post - is if you really like superb audio, and you will not be using an external amplifier (RCA or Optical out), instead using regular analog audio out posts on the motherboard -- very few mainboards actually have good enough amplified sound to drive a good pair of headphones well. Some higher end boards have it but only a few. High Impedance headphones benefit from an add-on sound card tremendously such as the Asus Xonar line or Creative SoundBlaster Z series that have a headphone amplifier amp built in. If you are using a speaker set then the mobo analog outs are fine usually.

Edited by Wizdom_09Z, 20 July 2013 - 03:10 PM.