Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows 7 will not install updates

• Please log in to reply

adifrank

adifrank

• PipPipPip
  • 226 posts
Running Windows 7 64bit on my HP Pavilion g series. The computer came with Windows 7 installed.
My problem has been going on for about two weeks. I keep getting messages that Windows cannot update automatically. When attempting to update Windows manually, it says that it can't install certain updates because they are being used by some process. So I restart, but the updates are not installed and I get the same messages

This is my update log:

Posted Image

and this is the message I get when I try to update manually:
Posted Image

the only security software i'm running is microsoft security essentials.

I tried one suggestions posted as a reply to someone who had similar problems. It was to turn off auto updates, restart and turn back on. This didn't work.

Can anyone please help me out?

Advertisements

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,975 posts
Hi,

Try the Microsoft FixIt for Windows Update and see if it helps.

adifrank

adifrank

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 226 posts
hi. just tried microsoft fixit. downloaded an exe file that is supposed to fix update issues. ran the file and got this message:

Posted Image

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,975 posts
Hi,

Another option System Update Readiness Tool

Also Check Windows System files integrity
- open the Command Prompt as Administrator (Tutorial)
- type the command:
sfc /scannow
Note: This may take a little bit to finish.

adifrank

adifrank

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 226 posts
thanks sleepy. will try out your suggestions once back home from work : )

adifrank

adifrank

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 226 posts
hi. finally got around to trying out your instructions.

1. downloaded and installed system update readiness tool. it installed some updates. after it completed i restarted the computer. after the restart i once again got the message saying that "windows could not check for updates automatically"

2. i ran the command to "check windows system files integrity". it got to verification 100% complete and said "windows resource protection did not find any integrity violations"

so sadly, it looks like these haven't solved the issue.

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,975 posts
Hi,

Can you locate the fodler c:\windows\Logs\CBS zip all the files inside and attach the zip to your post?
If the forum doesn't accept the zip because its a big file please upload it to datafilehost and post the link generated by the site to download the file.

adifrank

adifrank

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 226 posts
here are the files you requested, zipped:
http://www1.datafile....com/d/a5f1b117

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,975 posts

here are the files you requested, zipped:
http://www1.datafile....com/d/a5f1b117

Hi,

Thanks for the logs.

Can you post the Internet Explorer version you have installed?

Edit: It seems you have Internet Explorer 10 installed can you uninstall it and reinstall IE 10 again? The log show some corrupted files related to IE 10, reinstalling should fix the problem.

Edited by SleepyDude, 07 July 2013 - 12:50 PM.

adifrank

adifrank

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 226 posts
Internet Explorer 10
Version: 10.0.9200.16540
Update Versions: 10.0.4 (KB2817183)
Product ID: 00150-20000-00003-AA459

thanks for staying with me on this!

just read your edit. will try to uninstall, reinstall.

Edited by adifrank, 07 July 2013 - 12:55 PM.

Advertisements

adifrank

adifrank

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 226 posts
i'm unsure of how to uninstall windows explorer 10. i googled it and found that i need to go to:
Programs and Features > Installed Updates - right click the Windows Explorer 10 update and select uninstall.

i did this and got an error message saying that not all of the selected updates have been uninstalled. the windows explorer 10 update is still there among the list of installed updates.

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,975 posts
Hi,

You did well but it seems the uninstall isn't working.

Try to download Internet Explorer 10 installer and see if it allow you to install again, choose your language and select download for Windows 7 SP1 64-Bits.

adifrank

adifrank

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 226 posts
no luck. when attempting to install i immediately got the message:
"Setup can't continue because a more recent version of Internet Explorer is installed on your computer"

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,975 posts

no luck. when attempting to install i immediately got the message:
"Setup can't continue because a more recent version of Internet Explorer is installed on your computer"

Ok, I did a more deeper search about that problem with the IE files and its a false error produced by the tool so we don't nee to mess with IE sorry.

Does Windows Update gives you any notification about updates that need to be installed?

When you open Windows Update does it shows the exact same error msg you post in post #1?

adifrank

adifrank

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 226 posts
whenever turning on my computer i get the message that windows can't check for updates automatically.
looking now at the windows action center, under maintenance, i am given the same message about windows not being able to check for updates automatically.

when i click "check for updates" - it takes me to the windows update panel. there i see the message "restart your computer to install important updates". however when i click "restart now", after restarting i once again get the message that windows can't check for updates automatically.

in the windows update panel, under the "restart your computer.." message, it says:
most recent check for updates: 6/12/2013 at 07:36
updates were installed: 6/12/2013 at 08:47

so obviously it is not installing updates, since i've tried to install updates several times since june 12.