Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

ASUS PC Misbehaving, Drive Read Error and the lot

• Please log in to reply

jordanryle

jordanryle

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hello,

I want to be as thorough as possible, so I apologize for the length of this post. I desperately need a diagnosis for my PC. It currently has a mess of symptoms that may or may not be related, but I have done the usual testing and have had no success. Here are the symptoms and my PC info:

ASUS CS5111
Windows 7 x64
4GB DDR2 RAM (upgraded, non factory)
1TB Western Digital Caviar Green (upgraded, non factory), purchased at least 2 years ago
Intel Pentium E5200 / 2.5 GHz
This PC is a few years old, but has been kept in very good condition.

Symptoms:
The most obnoxious and perplexing is when I use XBMC for more than an hour, the hard drive activity light lights up solid and the computer freezes. After two or so minutes, I am able to control the computer again for about 30 seconds, then this repeats until I shut it off. This doesn't happen every time I use XBMC, only every third time or so. The most recent time this happened, the computer displayed a "A drive read error has occurred. Press CTRL+ALT+DEL to restart" upon restart, and does so at every subsequent restart. This happened maybe a half-hour ago, however I am confident it will actually start up properly once I give it time to cool down, allowing me to run any tests you may give me. Additionally, I have a SATA cable that I can use to connect the HD to my laptop, just in case.

When the PC is working properly, it runs perfectly and I'll put it to sleep. After maybe 6 hours, the PC will turn back on, with no error or anything; it'll just come out of sleep. Again, this doesn't happen consistently, only maybe once of every four or so times. I don't have any keyboard or mouse connected to the PC (I use a Windows Center remote), so I'm not sure why this happens.

There are also some times where when I boot from shutdown, it will not recognize that a drive is attached. I will get a "Please insert boot disk" notice, since the disk drive is next on my BIOS boot list. Once I restart it again, however, the drive is recognized.

Attempted solutions:
I have replaced the thermal paste with Arctic Silver 5. The PC seems to work better each time I do this, but then after a few weeks returns to its old habits.
I have run chkdsk and malware scans and CCleaner, and everything is clean.
I have checked every connection internally and everything is secure.

My current thought is that it is something wrong hardware-wise with the hard drive, but I'd like to go over everything before I shell out $100 for a new one if this one is still good. And it's only about 2 years old and is in good condition, so I hope it is still good. I have also run hard drive diagnostics and it comes back without any errors.

I have exhausted my knowledge of this issue, but I truly love this computer as it is a perfect HTPC; digital surround sound, HDMI, remote control, it's small and quiet. It would mean the world if I could get it working consistently again, and I would be forever grateful.

Thank you a bunch in advance. Let me know of any other info I can give you to help.

Advertisements