Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Choosing specs for my first big gaming rig - advice? :)

• Please log in to reply

randomer18

randomer18

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi guys.

I'm just about about to buy my first big gaming rig from FreshTech, hoping to run most games on full settings for a while ideally. Any advice or comments? Thanks! Don't want to spend much more than £750 ideally, this lot comes to £702.

Current specs:

Vantage Black Midi Gaming Tower PC Computer Case 4 Blue LED Fans and Card Reader

Intel Core I7 3770K 3.5Ghz CPU Socket 1155 8mb Cahce Ivy Bridge HD Graphics

Crucial Ballistix Sport 8gb ( 2x 4gb ) DDR3 1600mhz CL9 Sport Series Memory

Gigabyte GA-H61MA-D3V Socket 1155 H61 USB 3.0 Onboard Graphics* Motherboard

Asus GeForce GTX 650 2gb GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 DVI HDMI Graphics Card

Seagate 1tb Barracuda 7200rpm Serial 3.5" Sata Hard Drive 64mb ( ST1000DM003 )

Samsung 24x DVD Writer Dual Layer Black ( SH-224BB/BEBE )

Tesla 750W PSU 12cm Red Fan Dual PFC Power Supply

Standard Intel CPU Heatsink and Fan

Tenda W322P Wireless PCI Network Card 300Mbps

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64bit Oem

Advertisements

Veeg

Veeg

• PipPipPip
  • 203 posts
Hello

Most of it looks good,you could save a little bit of money if you were to go with an i5 3570k,this compares to the i7 3770k in performance.
On the Tesla psu ...this psu gets mixed reviews...

randomer18

randomer18

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Hello

Most of it looks good,you could save a little bit of money if you were to go with an i5 3570k,this compares to the i7 3770k in performance.

Thanks a lot for this. How about using the extra cash I'll save switching to the i5 by changing the Tesla CPU to:

Corsair CMPSU-650TXV2UK Enthusiast Series TX650 650w Power Supply

Veeg

Veeg

• PipPipPip
  • 203 posts

Hello

Thanks a lot for this. How about using the extra cash I'll save switching to the i5 by changing the Tesla CPU to:

Corsair CMPSU-650TXV2UK Enthusiast Series TX650 650w Power Supply

Not a bad call.........:)

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
:welcome: randomer18

Excuse the interjection if you will please Veeg :thumbsup:

Couple of observations in addition to the sound CPU and PSU guidance already given ;)

I struggled to find the types of MB that the case will accept which is not helpful to start with and what I did eventually find says that the case accepts ATX MBs meaning your chosen MB will not fit as it is the smaller mATX** form factor, the case also has no USB 3.0 ports http://www.play.com/...ck/Product.html

The MB that you have selected is dated technology in that it is the H61 chipset platform, it is mATX** form factor which can be a problem with larger video cards and it has been discontinued by many merchants which could cause you problems further down the line if the MB fails and needs to be replaced, this is because your OS is the OEM version which is tied to the MB upon registration of the OS with Microsoft.

The above is intended to save you possible disappointment, time and money and is no way meant as criticism, the rest of your components are a good choice :thumbsup:

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Gday.
Are the computers from the site, pre-built and tested, so all you have to do is connect your monitor etc, and press the power on button?
It also looks as though you can configure your own bulld and they will give you a price, Correct?