Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Grinding, Freezing and Slow Performance

• Please log in to reply

lurker97kr

lurker97kr

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Hey phillpower2, I hate to bother you like this but it happened again.

And this time while I was playing a mage in Oblivion it kept locking up repeatedly. Lock up for 20 seconds, play for 5 seconds lock up again. It happened about 5 times until I just exit the game after the last lock up was done. I did notice something different here though, when the game locked up the in-game music did not go silent as usual instead it locked up as well and played itself in a repeated loop. And during some lock-ups it played itself normally as if the game weren't locked up.

I'm not sure if it's my hard drive or my integrated video card now that is affected? Can integrated video cards even burn out? I remember using the one on my last computer for ages to play all sorts of games, even games beyond it's potential that I managed to tweak down so that gameplay was manageable.

Anyway, I did check the BIOS values after the last lock up this time. I've written it down.

Processor Thermal Margin: 45C
Motherboard Temperature: 44C
+12v: 12.032 V
+5v: 5.152 V
+3.3v: 3.360 V
5v Standby: 5.088 V
Processor Voltage: 1.272 V
CPU Cooling FAN: 1339 RPM
Rear Chassis FAN: N/A

Although checking these BIOS temps was after I waited until the game unfroze, then shut down the PC and then had restart it again during the windows loading screen because I didn't press F2. I hope that doesn't affect the readings. Or would you like me to immediately manually shut down the PC during a lock up and check the readings?

EDIT: Oh and thanks for the effective cooling option recommendation! That's very affordable. :)

EDIT2: I must add, today's lock ups only happened in-game. I've been using the PC just fine without any program not responding. Well...so far. I'll get back to you if anything changes.

Edited by lurker97kr, 02 July 2013 - 04:33 AM.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,766 posts
No bother whatsoever lurker97kr :thumbsup:

Thanks for the BIOS readings which show that everything is within tolerance range at least.

This leaves the temperature of the integrated video chip and the internal HDD temps as possible causes, I suspect that it is the video chip due to the fact that it relies on system memory for support which means that when you are gaming the chip is being worked harder and so producing more heat which unfortunately is not being expelled from the inside of the case.

If you have a small desktop fan try removing the side of the case and blowing cool air into the case, please be careful not to touch inside the case when the computer is connected to the power outlet.

lurker97kr

lurker97kr

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

This leaves the temperature of the integrated video chip and the internal HDD temps as possible causes, I suspect that it is the video chip due to the fact that it relies on system memory for support which means that when you are gaming the chip is being worked harder and so producing more heat which unfortunately is not being expelled from the inside of the case.

Is there any way I could perhaps record the temperatures of the chip and HDD?

If you have a small desktop fan try removing the side of the case and blowing cool air into the case, please be careful not to touch inside the case when the computer is connected to the power outlet.

Sadly I don't have a small desktop fan :( I do leave the side cover open though and it's quite cool here right now.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,766 posts
An earlier Speedfan screenshot showed your HDD to be 43C which is ok as the safe non operating temps are 40 to 70C and 0 to 60C when in use, this info is from Seagates own specs.

Can you run Speccy and provide a url for us http://www.piriform....file-to-the-web

Couple of tests to check out the video chip http://www.ozone3d.net/benchmarks/fur/ and http://www.technibbl...ry-stress-test/

lurker97kr

lurker97kr

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Here's the speccy link -> http://speccy.pirifo...gZgCyQbO6EhGgE3

I ran the VMT test and I attached the results below. I'm not sure exactly what I did in furmark. I adjusted some settings and ran a couple of tests. The benchmark tests logged results and I've attached a couple of those. Other than that the donut was an array of colours and the burn-in test pretty much displayed the same donut. I've attached a pic of what happened during the test.

Attached Thumbnails

• VMT Stress Test.jpg
  • Furmark Test 1.jpg
  • Furmark Test 2.jpg
  • Furmark Display.jpg

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,766 posts
Thanks for the update :thumbsup:

The HDD is ok at 40C but unfortunately no video chip temps are shown, as a + your video memory that is supported did pass as ok.

Back to improving the internal cooling I`m afraid as everything else checks out as being ok.