Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

issue with second pc freezing when under load

• Please log in to reply

Themkman

Themkman

• PipPip
  • 35 posts
Hello I have a strange thing happening to my pc, the pc is factory build hp pavilion a6455.uk

http://h20000.www2.h...eriesId=3677047

Motherboard
M2N68-LA (Narra3)

Processor
AMD Phenom X4 9500

Graphics
nvidia gt220 (changed from NVIDIA GeForce 8400)

Power Supply
500W (changed from a 300w)

Ram
4gb Speed: PC2-6400 MB/sec

the pc is randomly stopping responding, no its not like a normal one where the screen freezez and the current sound keeps looping, it just simply stops, no errors, nothing to say there is a problem other than the fact it just suddenly stops and i notice as soon as it does the hdd light on the top of the tower stops flashing, the only way to resolve this is to kill the power and reboot and it will work like nothing has happened for a little while then it will do it again.

It can happen at random times, I have left it downloading a file for 3 days with no issues but sometimes i will open face book and bam it freezes in 2 mins, I have noticed that whn i put it under load it does freeze a lot quicker, if i play a game i get about 5 mins if i play a film i get about 20 mins, it just depends on what i am doing.

I have swapped out the psu, graphics card, ram,hdd, i have done a clean install of windows vista (op it came with) even put a clean install of xp on a different hdd to try and lower resorces used by windows its self, still with no help, i have updated motherboard drivers and bios drivers, still no change. I can not thing of that else to try to get it working or what piece will need replacing

as i said this is my spare pc that my son uses when he comes to stay over and i would really like to get it running again for him

thank you

Paul

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,744 posts
Hello Themkman

Common causes of such behavior are heat and a flaky or underpowered PSU, the PSU itself can also produce additional heat if it is working harder than it should.

You have replaced the 300W PSU with a 500W PSU but can you tell us the brand and model name or number of the replacement so we can take a look at the specifications and in particular the amps on the +12V rail and the efficiency rating.

Download Speedfan and install it. Once it's installed, run the program and post here the information it shows. The information I want you to post is the stuff that is circled in the example picture I have attached.
If you are running on a vista machine, please go to where you installed the program and run the program as administrator.

Posted Image
(this is a screenshot from a vista machine)

To capture and post a screenshot;

Click on the ALT key + PRT SCR key..its on the top row..right hand side..now click on start...all programs...accessories...paint....left click in the white area ...press CTRL + V...click on file...click on save...save it to your desktop...name it something related to the screen your capturing... BE SURE TO SAVE IT AS A .JPG ...otherwise it may be to big to upload... then after typing in any response you have... click on browse...desktop...find the screenshot..select it and click on the upload button...then on the lower left...after it says upload successful...click on add reply like you normally would.

Depending on the results we may need to run further software for comparison http://www.cpuid.com.../hwmonitor.html
Screenshot instructions are provided to assist those that may read this topic but are not yet aware of the “how to”.

Themkman

Themkman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
the psu is a jeantec PUFP 405 i also have a spare delta electronics DPS300AB 19-B and a Alpha power ATX-450 and a ACE A-500-BR PSU's

I also have a spare GTX 260 and a radion hd 6450 Graphics cards

I will now down load the programs and post my results in a few mins

Themkman

Themkman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
here is the speed fan temp.JPG i got no voltage box though?

Edited by Themkman, 28 June 2013 - 05:59 AM.

Themkman

Themkman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
also i have attached the HW monitor file hw.JPG

Themkman

Themkman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
thsi is a upload of my pc under load for about 2 mins

load.JPG

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,744 posts
The Jeantech and Delta brand PSUs are good quality the others however are unsubstantiated http://www.pcmech.co...ide-inside.html

We need to get the voltage readings if we can so can you try Speccy to see if that picks them up http://www.piriform....file-to-the-web post the url with your next reply please, I suggest that you uncheck the automatic fan speed box in Speedfan as it does not always help.

Go to Start then to Run/Search
Type in compmgmt.msc and click Enter
On the left side click on Disk Management
On the right side you will see your hard drive.
Now I need you to take a screenshot and attach it to your next reply.

Tip;
If you have something to add while waiting for a reply use the edit tab – bottom right of the dialogue input box and this will ensure that no information that you provide is overlooked (this can happen if your topic has more than one page) thank you for understanding.

Themkman

Themkman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
speccy

drive.JPG

i have included everything that you have asked for but i am still unable to find voltages for some reason?

Themkman

Themkman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
ok so i had a look around the internet this evening and downloaded a few hw monitors, but still dont think i can find and voltages, for some reason my pc just wont give that info to any program that i have tried?????????

all.JPG

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,744 posts
Check the readings in the BIOS now and then again the next time that the issue happens as soon as the computer becomes usable again, no need for a screenshot just make a note of the readings as in the attached example below, let us know if you need assistance with accessing the BIOS.

NB: BIOS voltage readings.

The readings are not conclusive in the BIOS as the computer is under the least amount of load, if they are higher or lower than what they should be though it does suggest a PSU problem.

From my reply #7

Tip;
If you have something to add while waiting for a reply use the edit tab – bottom right of the dialogue input box and this will ensure that no information that you provide is overlooked (this can happen if your topic has more than one page) thank you for understanding.

Themkman

Themkman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
hello, i have gone onto the bios but under power options i have no voltage listed only 3 options, after ac power failure, virtualization technology and No execute, My bios is very very basic on this machine.

I have looked in all headings and there is nothing coming up, and the hp diagnostic tool is coming up fine????

Edited by Themkman, 01 July 2013 - 11:38 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,744 posts
It may be under a heading such as PC Health Status.

Also worth checking out is the HP diagnostic tool http://h10025.www1.h...cname=c01508207