Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Need HELP with system not booting up. Fans turns on then dies.

• Please log in to reply

tingbots

tingbots

• Pip
  • 2 posts
So my pc is more than 5yrs old now and i think it just died on me.

Intel Core2Duo E7200
AMD Sapphire 7750 1GB
3GB RAM DDR2 667 (1x1gb and 1x2gb)
Gigabyte 945GCM-S2L
600W PSU

Problem: It suddenly stop while I was opening a video editing program. This is not the first time this happened. It's not just with my video editing program that it crashed. It's random. so this time it didn't boot back up again like it did before. When I switch it on the PSU and cpu fans turns on for about 3 seconds then it shuts down. No screen output or beeps.

I tried troubleshooting it by isolating each component and I think it has got to do with my RAM or motherboard. Here's what i've done:
1. Isolated the PSU by turning it on using the paper clip trick. green and black wire shorted. I then tested the 12v and 3.3v railing and it worked fine on my multimeter.
2. Removed the graphics card and turned the system on but the problem is still there.
3. Removed the hard disk drives and it still won't boot up.
4. Removed the RAMs one by one, switched them on both slots, tried using just one RAM and the problem still persists. I've tried removing both my RAMs and the system fans including the PSU will turn on without shutting down but there's a continuous nonstop beep.

Don't know how to troubleshoot a motherboard so I'm down to either the RAM or Mobo that is causing all this.

PLEASE HELP. I'm planning on buying a new pc but I still can't afford it yet.
THANKS!

Advertisements

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,330 posts
Have you tried clearing your CMOS setting by removing the battery and shorting the pins

tingbots

tingbots

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Yes. I just tried removing the cmos and shorted it. My PC still won't boot. The fans turns on then stops.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 19,993 posts
Hello tingbots

A continuous beep can be caused by one of the following bad PSU, MB, keyboard error or a system short.

Couple of questions if I may;

2. Removed the graphics card and turned the system on but the problem is still there.

Did you connect the screen to the MBs integrated video port when you did this.

What is the brand and model name or number of the 600W PSU.