Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Installing new mobo and graphic card without OS and other software rei

• Please log in to reply

Souley16

Souley16

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
I would like to upgrade my rig without having to reinstall my operating system, and all the other programs on my hard drive. By upgrading, I mean new motherboard, graphic card, ram... I know you can mirror your hard drive
and use the image on another computer with similar specs but can you do the same process with all new hardware.

Thanks.

Advertisements

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Gday Souley16.
No. You can upgrade other parts on a MB, providing they are compatible, but will not work changing the MB.
Reusing the RAM could also be an issue.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
Just to add to what has been advised by iammykyl, apart from compatibility issues you must also consider the Microsoft license agreement that you will be bound by if your OS is a Windows product, if the installation was done using a full retail disk and the 25 digit product key was/is not in use on another computer you are ok to upgrade the MB without breaking the license agreement, you cannot do the same if the installation was done using an OEM disk as the product key is tied to the present MB.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Thanks Phillpower2 for the additional info.

Souley16
If you would like some help selecting parts? Please give us the followinginformation.
Where you live.
Your budget.
What will be the main purpose for the computer.
The full specs of what you have at the moment, brand and model of each part including the case and power supply.

Souley16

Souley16

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
That won't be necessary Iammykyl. Thanks for the feedback everyone.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
OK Souley16
thank you for the update. Posted Image