Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Purple/Red Screen

• Please log in to reply

karrion

karrion

• Pip
  • 6 posts
I was recently using my computer (internet browsing) when all of a sudden the screen turned a tint of purple/red.
My initial thought was that the monitor had broken so I tried the monitor on a different computer and to my suprise it worked fine.
I thought then that it must be the graphics card, so I fitted in my backup graphics card. Again I was still getting the red/purple screen.
this tint is even visible on startup and in the bios.
i was wondering if anyone could give me any guidance as to what is causing this as I now have no idea what it could be.
thankyou

Advertisements

karrion

karrion

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
any help would be welcomed :tazz:

CMDA

CMDA

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
have you tried booting the system and shaking the monitor cable ? it could be a bad contact... this normaly happens when there's a problem with some pin in the cable...

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts

have you tried booting the system and shaking the monitor cable ? it could be a bad contact... this normaly happens when there's a problem with some pin in the cable...

View Post

Darn good point. Forgot to include this in the other forum section where you posted this exact same question. Make sure you connections are clean and tight after checking for a bad cable. Sometimes monitors get too hot and, if old, will develope bad solder joints around the leads of the power components which eventually crtystalizes and makes a poor connection when temp gets to high.

Ron

karrion

karrion

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
thanks for your help
I don't believe this is the issue.
I am now starting to think that maybe it is the AGP socket on the motherboard
the puple tint is visible all the time. even when the computer is starting up and in the bios which would indicate that this is not a software problem.
do you agree that this could be a problem with the agp slot? or possibly the RAM or CPU?

CMDA

CMDA

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
itīs not the ram nor the cpu. I still believe the problem is in the monitor, but if you can, borrow a PCI vga and try it. Else try your monitor on a different PC

karrion

karrion

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

itīs not the ram nor the cpu. I still believe the problem is in the monitor, but if  you can, borrow a PCI vga and try it. Else try your monitor on a different PC

View Post

I have tried it on a different PC
I re-installed windows
thinking of updating the bios
what u think?

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
If you still have the problem with the monitor while using it on another PC or have used another monitor with the problem PC and show no color problem, then the problem is in the original monitor.

There is usually a printed circuit board that plugs into the neck socket of the CRT. The video drivers of these usually use power transistors to drive the cathodes for each color gun. You may have had a failure of the driver for the one color gun or, as I mentioned before, it may be as simple as a bad solder joint on this board.

If you feel comfortable in pulling the case off and checking visually for any crystalized solder joints, you might be able to spot this. You may have a better monitor than most and all this may be encase in metal shields so you would have to take it to a service shop qualified in doing these types of repairs.

Ron