Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

HELP! XP WON'T BOOT UP

• Please log in to reply

neiltsm

neiltsm

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Firstly, hello to you all from London ;)

Secondly, Help!!! :tazz:

I would consider myself relatively PC literate and have a virus free, spyware free pc that is well housekept and well run. However, a few days ago my nightmare began. Basically, I'm writing to you from my MAC because my PC just won't boot up - even in safe mode. I've done some investigations and forced into advanced mode using F8 (I should add that all the options I press such as safe mode, with networking, start windows normally etc etc all end up with it rebooting back onto the 'failure' screen).

Now, this all started I think after a windoze automatic update of a few days back and it hasn't worked since. Unless this is a virus? But I'm locked down with System Mechanic Pro so i'm pretty well covered and do regular checks etc. One other thing, i've always had trouble with XP closing down, it often hangs. That may be irrelevent but I thought it worth mentioning.

Anyway, after getting into F8 I managed to get the following message up:

A PROBLEM HAS BEEN DETECTED AND WINDOWS HAS BEEN SHUT DOWN TO PREVENT FURTHER DAMAGE TO YOUR COMPUTER

IF THIS IS THE FIRST TIME THIS HAS HAPPENED, REBOOT INTO SAFE MODE ETC. ETC. (tried that, it doesn't work)

Then...

CHECK FOR THAT ANY NEW HARDWARE ETC. HAS BEEN INSTALLED WITH THE RELEVANT DRIVERS ETC (well the only thing that was installed was an XP update!!!!)

Then

IF PROBLEMS CONTINUE DISABLE OR REMOVE ANY NEWLY INSTALLED HARDWARE OR SOFTWARE. DIISABLE BIOS MEMORY OPTIONS SUCH AS CACHING OR SHADOWING. IF YOU NEED TO USE SAFE MODE TO REMOVE OR DDISABLE COMPONENTS, RESTART YOUR COMPUTER, PRESS F8 TO SELECT ADVANCED STARTUP OPTIONS, AND THEN SELECT SAFE MODE (As I say, this doesn't work).

TECHNICAL INFORMATION:

***STOP: 0X000000ED (0X86F41900, 0XC000009C, 0X00000000, 0X00000000)

Can anyone help me please? You're looking at yet another fool that hasn't backed up his hard drive and has 3 years of beautiful photos and mp3's there! But I've learned my lesson, I'm now fully converted to MAC!

Just to reiterate, I've installed no hardware or software, the only thing that has changed was the last windows auto update a few days ago. Really appreciate your help

NEILTSM

Advertisements

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Howdy and welcome to G2G:

Couple possibilities here..

First One and Second One

Murray

bobthemailman

bobthemailman

• PipPipPip
  • 193 posts
hello,
ok, how old is your comp, or better yet when was the las time you instaled windows?
your best option would be to find out who made your HD, then go to that website and download diagnostic software put it on a floppy, stick the floppy in ur comp, then run it at startup and see if ur harddrive is damaged. if it is not, open case and see if u see a cable or something out of place and make sure the stuff that is connected is connected properly. then try taking the hd out of the comp and putting it into another comp to c if it will work there. also contact microsoft and c if ur not the only one with this problem(they have forums too). or you could format ur HD (this would erase evrything though) and reinstall windows. reinstalling windows would probably be your best bet after you checked for errors on your HD! try this stuff and if it dont work then contact me or someone else at sadsmile5@yahoo.com

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Neil:

Try the fixes I gave you first!!

Murray

neiltsm

neiltsm

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Howdy and welcome to G2G:

Couple possibilities here..

First One and Second One

Murray

View Post

Thanks to both your replies and your welcome Murray ;)

These two options certainly seem to be along the right lines....I have my recovery disks but it says:

WELCOME TO THE ACER ASPIRE RECOVERY PROCEDURE. THIS PROCEDURE ALLOWS YOU TO RESORE YOUR COMPUTER SOFTWARE ACCORDING TO ITS ORIGINAL CONTENT.

**WARNING**

THIS PROCEDURE RESTORES ALL YOUR ACER COMPUTER SOFTWARE. ALL DATA ON YOUR HARD DISK DRIVE WILL BE PERMANENTLY LOST.

Oh dear! I don't fancy proceeding with that :tazz: Is there any way I can get round this or download something from the Windows website etc?

Thanks again

NeilTSM

bobthemailman

bobthemailman

• PipPipPip
  • 193 posts
i agree with murray! and murray i am wanting to become a computer techinician repairman and i was wondering where u learned ur stuff also is there anything wrong with my solutions?

Edited by bobthemailman, 07 June 2005 - 04:14 PM.

bobthemailman

bobthemailman

• PipPipPip
  • 193 posts
umm.............
well if you want to install windows again u will loose data unless u upgrade operating systems. but i dont think u can if urs is not working right

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Neil:

This Link will tell you how to get to the Recovery Console..

Read the whole thing as you will need the set of 6 XP boot floppies!!

Murray

neiltsm

neiltsm

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
This is all starting to make a bit of sense now. My PC is about 2yrs old btw and it has an Athelon 2.5Ghz I think so it's all very up-to-date.

Often (about once a week) the blue Windows XP screen comes up and says it has to perform a 'consistency check', something about FAT32? Anyway, sometimes this can take up to a HOUR to go through? It's painful, even though I regularly defrag using system mechanic, as well as using registery mechanic etc. I don't know if any of this is connected, but I thought it worth mentioning.

Just to get backto you bob - there's no way I want to re-install windows, I just want to try and use the chkdsk function on the recovery console if I can to fix what appears to be a fairly minor issue. Without this chkdsk I think I'll be stuck :tazz:

bobthemailman

bobthemailman

• PipPipPip
  • 193 posts
guess i exagrated issue, good luck with that! :tazz:

Advertisements

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Give it a go Neil and keep me informed.. :tazz:

Murray

neiltsm

neiltsm

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Neil:

This Link will tell you how to get to the Recovery Console..

Read the whole thing as you will need the set of 6 XP boot floppies!!

Murray

View Post

Thanks! However, I don't have any XP boot floppies. It was pre-installed on the PC (OEM Copy) when I bought it from Acer. All I have are the two recovery disks from Acer that appear to be a very large sledgehammer to crack a very small nut. To be honest, I'm that in need of this to be fixed I'd be prepared to buy a copy of XP just to get these disks. Surely Microsoft must make considerations of users with OEM pre-installed versions of XP?

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Nope.. In fact they offer very limited (if any) support for OEM software..

You can get the floppies from the link I provided you.. Just download the file that corresponds with your version of XP and install it on 6 clean formatted floppies..

Murray

neiltsm

neiltsm

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Nope..  In fact they offer very limited (if any) support for OEM software..

You can get the floppies from the link I provided you..  Just download the file that corresponds with your version of XP and install it on 6 clean formatted floppies..

Murray

View Post

Thanks very much for this. I've found the download site (hidden as Setup disks for Floppy Install) but as I'm using my MAC this evening so it won' work I don't think. I'll do it at work tomorrow on a laptop PC and post back tomorrow night to let you know how I get on!

Thanks so much!

NeilTSM

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
No problem.. good luck.. :tazz:

Murray