Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Installing Windows for the first time

• Please log in to reply

BonbonRose

BonbonRose

• PipPip
  • 73 posts
Hi,

I'm trying to replace my corrupt XP OS with a new windows 7 version and it's my first time ever trying to setup an OS.

First of all, I tried but got this error screen
Posted Image
Besides, I'm already confused with many terms concerning this subject like setup, clean setup, install and format. Which wipes the entire data I have, and which deletes just the partition where the OS is installed in - which is the one I want? So I cannot benefit from any tutorial unless I know the difference.

PS: there's nothing plugged into the computer except the basic stuff and the CD is new and looks good with no scratches.

Edited by BonbonRose, 29 June 2013 - 03:43 AM.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts
Hello BonbonRose

Couple of questions if I may;
What type of Windows 7 disk do you have as in a full retail type or an OEM type, if you can please provide a link to where the disk was obtained or to an image of the same version of disk that you have.

Do you wish to fully format the HDD and do a clean installation (this is often the best option).

Have you been having problems with the HDD at all.

BonbonRose

BonbonRose

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts
Hello,

It's a retail disk. As for the disk version, do you mean the version in the attached file?

Actually, I had my PC formatted not long ago so this time I just want to replace my OS without deleting any thing else. I had before - due to power failures - problems posted about here in the forum, and they came back again. And now since I finished my exams I want to reinstall the OS with your help because as I said it's my first time and I better do it with someone who know the tricks of it.

Attached Thumbnails

• Untitlejd.png

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts
Hello BonbonRose

Versions of W7 that are available http://windows.micro...ompare#T1=tab01

Due to the earlier issues and the error message before you go to the trouble of installing W7 I suggest that you ensure that the hard drive is ok, you can do this from within Windows Explorer http://support.micro...5/en-us#method2

Depending on the result you may also need to run the diagnostic tool appropriate to your brand of HDD.

BonbonRose

BonbonRose

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts
Hi,

It's Win7 Ultimate.
Depressingly, it's worse now. I had few error screens like these when I tried to run Chkdsk on boot - since my computer doesn't open.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Now either I Boot from hard drive or from a CD (I tried ubuntu and Mint beside my Windows disks), this message at the bottom is what I get..
Posted Image

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts
Hello BonbonRose

Your last screenshot shows that the HDD is set as the first boot device in the boot order, if you have been trying to do a repair installation of XP while it is set in that order it will explain why you have not been successful, the first boot device must be the CD/DVD** drive and the second boot device the HDD, this allows the data from the OS installation disk to be read by the optical (CD/DVD) drive and then written to the HDD, also worth a mention is that SATA devices cannot be daisy-chained and become Master and Slave drives like the IDE type.

** Please note that you must have a DVD type optical drive to install Windows 7 due to the video content etc, you cannot use a CD Rom device as it cannot read all of the data on the OS disk.

To change the Boot Sequence in the BIOS;

Reboot the system and at the first post screen (where it is counting up memory) start tapping the appropriate button that allows you to access the BIOS (Esc - Del – F2 etc)
This will enter you into the BIOS/CMOS
Find the Advanced area and click Enter
Look for Boot Sequence or Boot Options and highlight that click Enter
Now highlight the first drive and follow the directions on the bottom of the screen on how to modify it and change it to DVD/ CD drive
Change the second drive to the C or Main Drive
Once that is done then click F10 to Save and Exit
You will prompted to enter Y to verify Save and Exit.
Click Y and the system will now reboot with the new settings.

BonbonRose

BonbonRose

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts
Hello phillpower2,

I already set my first boot device to be the DVD drive. I just put that screen shot as an example. I get this screen when I boot from the HDD and when I boot from the CD both automatically and manually using the f12 button.
Something else, I noticed that the computer is incredibly slow these past few times I used it. Also it makes this noise I hear it for the first time. I would describe like it's traped in a loop.. trying to load, failing then trying again.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Sounds like the hard drive has died to me.

Check the hard drive with the manufacturer's diagnostic tools.
Hard Drive Diagnostics Tools and Utilities (Storage) - TACKtech Corp.
Bootable Hard Drive Diagnostics

You create a bootable CD, boot it and run the diagnostics, see what they tell you.

You can also try creating a bootable USB flash drive. Try downloading the Windows 7 version you are trying to install (Ultimate I think you said as described here. Use the key from the DVD you purchased.

Download a legal copy with SP1 integrated from here:

Windows 7 Direct Download Links

Make sure you get the same version you have, Home Premium, Pro or Ultimate and 32 or 64 bit. Note that Basic or Starter is not available.

I recommend using ImgBurn at 4X speed (or the slowest available) to create the DVD from the downloaded .iso file.

You can do this on any computer capable of burning a DVD.

YOU MUST HAVE A VALID KEY TO INSTALL THIS .ISO. The one on the COA sticker on your computer will work.

You can also create a bootable USB Flash drive (4GB or larger) to install Windows 7 from.

• Download and run Universal USB Installer – Easy as 1 2 3
  • Select Windows 7 from the first drop down list, all the way to the bottom
  • Select the downloaded Windows 7 iso file
  • Select your USB flash drive
  • Click Create
For techies or folks who work on computers: Create Windows 7 Universal ISO With All Editions Selection On Install with ei.cfg Removal Utility.
This will fit on a 6GB flash drive or can be burned to a DVD.

BonbonRose

BonbonRose

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts
Hi,

Firstly, this is my HD model.
Posted Image

Depending on this, should I still perform both of the diagnostic tests:
WD Caviar Blue
WD Blue / SE / SE16 (SATA II)

Another question.. Creating the Win7 bootable USB, Is it a succeeding or a parallel step to the tests?

Edited by BonbonRose, 05 July 2013 - 08:22 AM.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
That's for after you've run the tests (WD Cavar Blue). If no problem you can install or repair via USB. If the drive is bad, you can replace it then install via USB.

If you can still boot regularly or to safe mode, backup your data now if possible, otherwise you may lose it.

Advertisements

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
In post 3 all BonbonRose wanted to do was replace the OS.
I also suggest that you get any data off the drive if you can. You can also try a Ubunto or Linux cd.
Are you able to boot from a cd? Was that ever succesful?

BonbonRose

BonbonRose

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts
Hello,

Firstly, from my countless failed attempts, just once, the computer managed to detect/ boot from and open Hiren's BootCD, and boot both Ubuntu and Mint but didn't open them.

Secondly, is there a way to create a bootable CD for the tool's exe file?
Also, I read in the Hiren's BootCD website that it contains that tool -in case I can't create a bootable CD - but I can't find it the CD list.

I'm not able to phrase this well but if the computer can boot from CDs even it was just a few times, is there a way to fix or do something to make it boot from more CDs? :rolleyes:

Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
I think you may be concerned with a broken finger nail when actually this machine may have a heart problem Rose.

I would assume that with all these failed attempts to boot different disks you are still running, or have on the machine, XP SP3?

You may have incorrect bios settings, faulty memory or, as has been said, a faulty hard drive, or even a combination of all three.

Consider this from Microsoft regarding your second screen shot in post 5.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/318729

BonbonRose

BonbonRose

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts
Hello,

You might be right. I've been caught up in diagnosing the HD but now I have another two possible problems to look into :unsure:

I'll follow the link you gave me and come back.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
I would probably do a re set on the bios to default settings. Also remove and re insert the memory (be sure to ground yourself).