Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows XP

• Please log in to reply

psycho_70

psycho_70

• Pip
  • 8 posts
I have a Dell Inspirion 531 (2008 I think) Does anyone know how to restore to factory settings without a disc?

Advertisements

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
What is the full model number? Is it M531R?

Please post a full screen shot of Disk Management:

To open Disk Management, press Windows key+r, type diskmgmt.msc and press Enter or click GO. Make it full screen..

XP: CAPTURE - How to capture screen images (screen shots), Windows Made Easy

Use the Browse and Attach This File buttons below the text input area while using the Full editor to upload and insert here.

psycho_70

psycho_70

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
The model number says DCMA in the front where it says Inspirion it has the numbers 531 following Inspirion

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
Hello psycho_70

If I may chime in with a suggestion to hopefully help move things along while Ztruker is offline.

As you have not provided the screenshot that was previously requested by Ztruker we have no way of knowing whether or not your computers HDD has a recovery partition on it or not, to check please see the guide at the attached link http://www.dell.com/...040A68F5B2877D4

psycho_70

psycho_70

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
I tried that screen shot and it wouldn't work which is why I am trying to restore to factory settings...This all started back when I accidentally removed my icons (I have no idea how)and then while trying to correct it, I made them all the same and only the internet icon would work other than a few other...Since then I have managed to fix some of the problems such as the icons are back and I can now use system restore and some other things that wouldn't work. I am at a total loss and now I cannot download or update things like Java or flash player or Adobe so I obviously need the easiest way possible to restore to factory settings..i don't need to back up any pics, songs etc..Any help would be greatly appreciated...

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
I thought it was a Laptop, but it's a Desktop. I was able to find the users manual for it. Page 91 tells you how to restore it to factory new state so it must have a Recovery Partition. Give it a try.

Dell531.jpg

psycho_70

psycho_70

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Ok I tried that but when I turn it in I only see a big blue DELL and top right it says like F2 for boot menu and F 10 for something else then I press ctrl + F 11 and it takes me to the safe mode or start windows normally screen

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Post the screen capture of Disk Management then.

psycho_70

psycho_70

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
I am so sorry I tried that originally but it wont let me.... I am still searching to find out how to restore but no luck I am not sure why ctrl F didn't work????

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Go to Start then to Run
Type in compmgmt.msc and click Enter
On left side click on Disk Management
On right side you will see you hard drive.
Male sure the window is open all the way on the top right so I can see all the info it has.
Now I need you to take a screenshot and attach it to your next reply. Do the following to take a screenshot while the above is open and showing on your desktop.

To do a screenshot please have click on your Print Screen on your keyboard. It is normally the key above your number pad between the F12 key and the Scroll Lock key
Now go to Start and then to All Programs
Scroll to Accessories and then click on Paint
In the Empty White Area click and hold the CTRL key and then click the V
Go to the File option at the top and click on Save as
Save as file type JPEG or PNG and save it to your Desktop
Make sure the window is open all the way so I can see everything on the top right window.

Attach it to your next reply

Advertisements

psycho_70

psycho_70

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
I tried that originally but it wouldn't connect....One reason I needed to restore was that there has been a few things disabled somehow and I am unable to pull up certain things

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Did you try it in Safe Mode?

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Did you try Ctrl+F11 multiple times? You have to get it in a fairly small window. As soon as the Dell Logo shows, press Ctrl+F11, and do it multiple times.

If still no good, boot to the Recovery Console and use the diskpart command to show what disks/volumes are on the computer.

The following can be done from any Windows computer, XP through Windows 8:

Since you don't have an XP CD, download and run ARCDC by Artellos. It will download the required files from the Microsoft Web site and create a .iso file. It will also offer to burn the iso image to a CD for you. If you don't do it then, there is a good freeware burner called ImgBurn which will do it at a later time. If you're unsure how to do this, you can follow the tutorial here: How to Burn an ISO File. This can be done from any computer.

Boot the CD and at the first opportunity, enter R to start the Recovery Console.

Once at the Command Prompt, enter the following:
  • diskpart
  • list disk
  • list volume
Record the information and post it here.

Next, choose which XP installation you want to login to. Normally this will be 1.
Lastly you will be asked for the Administrator password. Just press the Enter key as the Administrator does not have a password (unless you gave it one, then you would enter it).

psycho_70

psycho_70

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
I downloaded from ARCDC and I chose XP Home SP2 and SP3. There was also a XP Home Original and a XP Home SP1... Once the disc is ready, can I insert the disc anytime or does it need to be during reboot?

Edited by psycho_70, 04 July 2013 - 05:01 AM.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,526 posts
Place the disk in the cd drive and reboot the computer. If you have the bios set to boot from cd, and you burned the cd properly, then it will boot to the cd.
Then you enter R to enter the recovery console and follow what was previously posted.