Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

During Startup Black Screen, "Please Wait" Pop-up, No Task Bar

• Please log in to reply

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,624 posts
  • MVP
Had a little trouble getting autoruns to read your file. Seems my version was out of date. Got it working now. Not seeing much that looks bad. There is one file in yellow under Logon that says:
Internet Explorer File not found: C:\windows\system32\ie4uinit.exe
You can uncheck it.

Under Everything is

WB File not found: C:\PROGRA~2\Stardock\OBJECT~1\WINDOW~1\fast64.dll

which can be unchecked.

There is also an entry for EpePcNp64 which is something called McAfee Endpoint Encryption Network Provider not sure what it does nor why it is on your system. I think you can uncheck it.

The rest of the yellow entries may be flagged because they don't have the full path. See if the files exist. If not uncheck them. Then reboot and see if we got lucky.

Main difference between Safe Mode and msconfig with most things unchecked is your video driver. There is an option in Safe Mode for low resolution video. Try it and see if it boots faster.

I have seen cases where Norton would get sick and cause it to take as long as 40 minutes to boot. You might try to uninstall it. Might work in Safe Mode if you can use their removal program:
Download and save the norton removal tool
ftp://ftp.symantec.com/public/english_us_canada/removal_tools/Norton_Removal_Tool.exe

(If you can't uninstall it try to uncheck every instance of Norton in Autoruns then reboot.)

Where in Germany are you? I worked there for 11 years. 6 years near Hannover (Wunstorf) and 5 in the Eiffel mountains SW of Cologne (Mechernich). That was a while back: 1973 - 1984

Advertisements

anirex

anirex

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Hello Ron,

I am in Stuttgart and Trier. I am originally from Germany, but live in the U.S. for almost 20 years. My wife is from Trier, which - as you know - is very close to the Eifel. Next week I will also be in Hannover to visit friends. Small world, isn't it :-)

Well, yesterday I had the hard drive mirrored and a new one put in. It does not effect the overall performance much, although following your recommendations I am now able to access Windows in normal mode. It takes Outlook around 20min to load and open up, but now I can at least access my business e-mails, which is a great help.

Any other ideas, what I could do to improve performance?

Best regards,

Phil

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,624 posts
  • MVP
The Internet is a bit flaky today so hopefully this post will go. One disadvantage of living on an island.

Was it Norton causing the problem or one of the autoruns?

Run VEW again as before and let's see if Outlook left any errors for us.

If normal mode is working you should be able to create a new user. If you bring Outlook up in the new user does it take as long?

There is a program called Process Monitor which might help you see what is causing the delay.

Download and save: Process Monitor http://live.sysinter...com/Procmon.exe

(Win 7 or Vista - Right click on it and run as Admin. XP - Double click on it ) Then try to bring up Outlook.

Unfortunately the log file on this are enormous so I can't look at them easily. Click on Filter, Filter then change the first column to read Process Name. Third column should be Outlook.exe then click on Add. OK

Now you will only see what outlook is doing. Does it seem to be repeating the same command over and over or getting a lot of errors? You can take a screen shot and attach it. http://graphicssoft....nscreenshot.htm Save the file as a .png or .jpg or the forum won't allow it.

Don't think I ever got to Stuttgart but I really liked Trier. There was a neat hotel up on the hill overlooking the town that used to be a convent. I used to stay there when I was in the area. Don't remember the name tho. In Hannover, my favorite restaurant when I still ate red meat (getting too old for that now) was Zum Ochsen in the old part of town. Wonder if it's still in business? They used to roast a gigantic piece of beef on a spit and they would cut you off a chunk and serve it with red cabbage. Yummy!