Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Mouse and Keyboard lock up - USB Controller?

• Please log in to reply

wisesilver

wisesilver

• PipPipPip
  • 501 posts
Hello: :)

I'm experiencing a problem on one of my home computers. Shortly after booting I find that my mouse and keyboard are no longer active. I just ran through a malware cleanup and my PC is performing much much better but it did not resolve the initial issue of my Mouse and Keyboard locking up. I was going to post in the OS forum next but I just recently unplugged my Mouse and keyboard from the rear USB slots and reconnected them to the front USB slots. They have not locked up in the last few days. So, my current suspicion is a bad USB controller in the rear of the PC. I've purchased new USB controller cards (USB 3 and USB 2) that I may install but before I do I thought I would check in with G2G to see what recommendations and diagnosis you may suggest.

One other possible piece of information I have observed is that during my initial observations of the issue it appeared that safe booting into my regular login user also eventually locked (mouse and keyboard) but that safe booting into one of my alternate user logins did not experience a lock up. This would suggest an issue tied to one user. But, with the problem apparently resolved by changing USB ports I am thinking that it was just a matter of time before the alternate user would have locked up.

Thank you. :)

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,771 posts
Hello wisesilver

Have you checked the Device Manager for any yellow ! or red Xs as this may be a driver issue as in on initial start up and in Safe Mode generic drivers are being used.

Please provide information about your computer, this includes is it a custom build or brand name such as Dell or HP, if it is provide the model name or series number (not serial) if a custom build post the brand and model name or number for the MB, add on video card if one is used and the PSU (power supply unit) providing these details will enable us to better assist you.

Can you reply in black text please.

wisesilver

wisesilver

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 501 posts
Hello phillpower2. :)

Have you checked the Device Manager for any yellow ! or red Xs as this may be a driver issue as in on initial start up and in Safe Mode generic drivers are being used.

On viewing and expanding all items in Device Manager there are no yellow ! or red Xs.

Please provide information about your computer, this includes is it a custom build or brand name such as Dell or HP, if it is provide the model name or series number (not serial) if a custom build post the brand and model name or number for the MB, add on video card if one is used and the PSU (power supply unit) providing these details will enable us to better assist you.

It is a Dell XPS Dell Studio XPS 8300 Desktop Core i7-2600 3.4GHz

An extract fron the OTL Scan shows the following:
64bit- Home Premium Edition Service Pack 1 (Version = 6.1.7601) - Type = NTWorkstation
Internet Explorer (Version = 9.10.9200.16576)
Locale: 00000409 | Country: United States | Language: ENU | Date Format: M/d/yyyy

7.98 Gb Total Physical Memory | 5.84 Gb Available Physical Memory | 73.19% Memory free
13.84 Gb Paging File | 10.78 Gb Available in Paging File | 77.90% Paging File free
Paging file location(s): c:\pagefile.sys 6000 8000 [binary data]

%SystemDrive% = C: | %SystemRoot% = C:\Windows | %ProgramFiles% = C:\Program Files (x86)
Drive C: | 919.22 Gb Total Space | 630.69 Gb Free Space | 68.61% Space Free | Partition Type: NTFS
Drive K: | 2794.51 Gb Total Space | 2098.82 Gb Free Space | 75.11% Space Free | Partition Type: NTFS

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,771 posts
Thanks for the update wisesilver :thumbsup:

Even though the Device Manager is not showing any problems there may still be a driver problem, the initial boot uses generic drivers and so devices can work ok until the system has completed the POST, USB port one on the rear of the case was also often used as a default port on Dell computers and this was done to allow users to be able to get into the BIOS and run the diagnostic tools if the computer was having problems.

Had the OS been reinstalled or any drivers updated previous to the issue starting.

Try running the Dell diagnostic and the ePSA if need be, information on both at the attached link http://www.dell.com/...ostics/us/en/19

wisesilver

wisesilver

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 501 posts

Had the OS been reinstalled or any drivers updated previous to the issue starting.

I’m not aware of any prior to the issue. After the issue started I logged on in safe mode I first ran RKill. It removed a registry entry "Explorer Policy Removed NoActiveDesktopChanges HKLM."

Try running the Dell diagnostic and the ePSA if need be

I ran the "Full System Diagnostic" overnight on a non admin user ID. It downloads “dellsystemdetect.bootstrapper” and installs it. Nothing seemd to have happened while letting it run overnight. :confused: This morning I logged in with an administrator ID and reran. It has been running for over an hour and no results. ;)

I haven’t gotten to the ePSA test yet.

Oh, my wife had another lockup (with the mouse and keyboard connected to the front USB ports.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,771 posts
Thanks for the update wisesilver :thumbsup:

I will wait on the results of the ePSA test for know but will suggest that you consider a fresh installation of the drivers if need be.

wisesilver

wisesilver

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 501 posts

I will wait on the results of the ePSA test for know …

For some reason now when I go to the Dell page, on your link, there is no link provided for the ePSA test. I believe I recall before I tryied to run the “Full System Diagnostic” there were two ePSA links. Now instead there is a drop down asking for error code, validation code & service tag. The only thing I believe I can provide is the Service Tag from the Dell computer. Is there a way for me to run the ePSA?

… but will suggest that you consider a fresh installation of the drivers if need be.

I’m fine with installing new drivers – does this pose any risks? If so what are my concerns?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,771 posts
Hello wisesilver :thumbsup:

It would appear that the link has indeed been replaced, please see http://raghuasr29.wo...agnostic-e-psa/

Before you make any changes to your computer you should create a new restore point, this is your safeguard.

To help with the drivers;

http://www.dell.com/...hs&docid=266471

http://www.dell.com/...0401E0A55174744

wisesilver

wisesilver

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 501 posts

I ran the ePSA and all tests passed. Do you need anything to review: I’m not sure if it stores a report on the hard drive and if so if you need to see it.

Before you make any changes to your computer you should create a new restore point, this is your safeguard.

How do I create a restore point? Is that done during boot up with pressing F8 or F12 or something then selecting a menu option?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,771 posts
Hello wisesilver

Knowing that the computer passed the ePSA test is fine thanks as only error information is required :thumbsup:

To create a new Restore Point before making hardware or software changes http://windows.micro...a-restore-point

Advertisements

wisesilver

wisesilver

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 501 posts

I have created a restore point. :) :thumbsup:
You have two links for updating drivers. :confused: The second link looks like it has a well described step by step approach. Can/should I use the second link and forget the first? Do I need the first link or was that just an additional option? :)

wisesilver

wisesilver

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 501 posts

OK, all or most of my ICONs are rendered un-executable. :( I cannot run IE, Firefox, or "My Computer" plus many more. :confused: They were all replaced with the ICON for PKZIP. :oops: I had to enter safe mode and rename the PKXIP executable to boot in normal mode. :killcomp:

So here's a run down of what I did. I started running the driver updates. Everything seemed to be going well. My mouse locked up several times but by switching USB ports I was able to regain its use. There was even a BIOS update. On the last update I was trying to run an executable (.exe) in a zip file. It indicated it did not know how to run it (an .exe file?) so as I recall I associated it to PKZIP (it was in a zip file). that's when everything went haywire. All of my ICONs started using the PKZIP image and PKZIP popups were constantly opening. I had to restart in safe mode and rename PKZIP to stop the popups. When I rebooted in normal mode many icons were now "blank" with no graphics. Also, most do not run. I tried to right click "My Computer" to see if I could figure out how to use the restore point I created. But it would not execute. Is this recoverable or is it time to re-image?

wisesilver

wisesilver

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 501 posts

OK, I googled System Restore. I can't run it any of these ways:
1) Navigate to the Start -> All Programs -> Accessories -> System Tools program group. Click on the System Restore program icon.
2) From the Start menu run rstrui
3) Navigate to Win Sys32 and run rstrui.exe

The only way I could run Windows Explorer is by right clicking on Start and selecting it there.

wisesilver

wisesilver

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 501 posts

OK, I seem to have fixed the problem. I googled and found this link: http://support.micro...xItMyselfAlways and followed the instructions. The computer seems to be back to normal. I have not run system restore yet. I also have not run all of the driver updates.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,771 posts
Hello wisesilver

You have been through the mill a bit with this :(

How is the computer behaving at present.