Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Mouse and Keyboard lock up - USB Controller?

• Please log in to reply

wisesilver

wisesilver

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 501 posts
Hello phillpower2. :)

The Colors are off for certain screens. Performance is good and ICONs are back and functioning. The mouse/keyboard issue I'm sure is not fixed - they just haven't locked up yet today. I have them on a USB hub right now.

Screen color issues, here are some of them: The Color after entering the logon is now a white screen. The bottom bar where ICONs are anchored is now white. Firefox and IE have screens with less contrast - lots of white areas.

Any idea how to recover? Is it time for a system restore?

Advertisements

wisesilver

wisesilver

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 501 posts

I decided to use the most recent restore point which was after the manual one I created. My screen colors appear to be back to normal. So, back to the mouse keyboard issue. If I continue to lock up do we continue with this topic or would I be best posting on the OS forum? Or perhaps I should restore the factory image and reinstall everything?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
Hello wisesilver

I suggest that you continue to use the computer and see how it behaves but do back up all important data now (as you should in any event) if you do need to do a full system restore it will save you time, please do the following for us;

Go to Start then to Search
Type in compmgmt.msc and click Enter
On the left side click on Disk Management
On the right side you will see your hard drive.
Now I need you to take an expanded screenshot and attach it to your next reply.

To capture and post a screenshot;

Click on the ALT key + PRT SCR key..its on the top row..right hand side..now click on start...all programs...accessories...paint....left click in the white area ...press CTRL + V...click on file...click on save...save it to your desktop...name it something related to the screen your capturing... BE SURE TO SAVE IT AS A .JPG ...otherwise it may be to big to upload... then after typing in any response you have... click on browse...desktop...find the screenshot..select it and click on the upload button...then on the lower left...after it says upload successful...click on add reply like you normally would.

Screenshot instructions are provided to assist those that may read this topic but are not yet aware of the “how to”.

Tip

If you have something to add while waiting for a reply use the edit tab – bottom right of the dialogue input box and this will ensure that no information that you provide is overlooked (this can happen if your topic has more than one page) thank you for understanding.

wisesilver

wisesilver

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 501 posts

The Mouse and Keyboard are still locking up. I get buy and rotate them into different USB ports. Attached is the screen print from the Disk Management. I hope this helps. :)

Attached Thumbnails

• DiskManage2013-07.jpg

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
Hello wisesilver

Thanks for the update which shows a healthy HDD and Recovery partition should you need to use it, can you do the following test and provide the url for us please,

Please Run the PCPitstop.com OverDrive Full Tests

Here's how:

You must use your Internet Explorer for this procedure. (doesn't work so well in Firefox or others). If your machine is running Vista or Windows 7, you must Select IE to “Run as Administrator”. After completing PCPitstop OverDrive you can close your IE browser and re-open it Normally so that you are no longer running as administrator.

Go to: http://www.pcpitstop...pit/default.asp
Click on "Free Computer Check-up" listed below PC Pitstop OverDrive
In the User Login - Click on "Sign up FREE!"
You'll need to submit a valid email address and create your own password, then click - Create Account(button)

Now enter your email address and password to Log in, Select - Scan this system Now!(button)
You will then be asked to download an ActiveX component and allow it to install.
It is safe and does not compromise your privacy.
Follow the on-screen prompts to install the ActiveX and to allow the Full Tests to be run on your machine.

The Full Tests take about 2 1/2 - 3 minutes on most machines.
When complete, a Results - Summary - Recommended Fixes will be displayed.

Please post the URL internet address, from your Results, back here into this Topic Thread so that we can review the configuration and present performance levels of your machine.

Note: During the graphics 2D and graphics 3D testing, your screen will display some rapidly moving objects.
If you are sensitive to visual flashing, it may cause dizziness. Therefore, look away from the screen during that portion of the testing.

After reviewing the results we will be more informed and may be able to provide better recommendations for you to work towards improving your machine's performance.

While PCPitstop does offer a variety of Paid Products, the PCPitstop OverDrive testing is FREE. Please ignore the references to Paid Products. We prefer to provide manual solution instructions that you can apply directly to your machine.

Thanks to rshaffer61 for the PCPitstop information :thumbsup:

NB: An example of the url that we require and the information that it leads to http://www.pcpitstop...?conid=25271813

wisesilver

wisesilver

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 501 posts

Here is the link for the PCPitstop tests:
http://www.pcpitstop...?conid=25371935

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
Hello wisesilver - thanks for the update :thumbsup:

The only thing that I noted at the test results was the date of some drivers with some USB drivers dating back to 2006, see if DriverMax suggests any updates http://www.innovativ....com/drivermax/ please note that you can only download two free drivers per day and be sure to uncheck the "install AVG toolbar" box.

wisesilver

wisesilver

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 501 posts

Interestingly I swapped out the mouse and keyboard for an alternate set a day and a half ago and have had no lock ups. Prior to that I had experimented with swapping out just the mouse and it still locked up so I am now suspicious of the keyboard as the root cause.

In any case I have downloaded the following USB driver updates: USB Mass Storage Device & USB Input Device. McAfee did not like DriverMax but I continued any way. Somehow the AVG tool bar was installed but I uninstalled it.

So, what would you suggest as my next steps? Here is what I am considering:
1) Perhaps swap in just the original mouse and observe for a couple of days.
2) If all is good swap in the original keyboard and observe again.
3) If locks up on keyboard replace with a new on?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
Hello wisesilver :)

So, what would you suggest as my next steps? Here is what I am considering:
1) Perhaps swap in just the original mouse and observe for a couple of days.
2) If all is good swap in the original keyboard and observe again.
3) If locks up on keyboard replace with a new on?

Sounds like a plan :thumbsup:

wisesilver

wisesilver

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 501 posts

Thank you for your assistance. I have a few questions:

1) Do you think it is likely and reasonable that a piece of hardware is the issue here?
2) Should we leave this post opened or do you think we have accomplished all we can at this point?
3) If we close it and I have additional problems where should I post next - OS?

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
Hello wisesilver

You are most welcome and ask as many questions as you feel that you need to :thumbsup:

A1: Totally reasonable and highly possible including batteries in keyboard, mouse etc.
A2: We do not close topics on the hardware forums unless for a specific reason, see how things go and come back here if the problem returns.
A3: As per A2 :)

wisesilver

wisesilver

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 501 posts

Even with the other set of Mouse and Keyboard my problem returned. I spoke to someone that told me there was a known problem with Dell computers. That the driver (I assume for input devices) gets corrupted and needs to be uninstalled and reinstalled. I went into Device Manager and tried uninstalling the drivers under keyboard and under mouse (not under USB). They appear to reinstall automatically. And the problem returns. Do you have any ideas, can you assist me with this.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
Hello wisesilver

I am not aware of that particular driver problem, you will however recall the correct installation order link that I previously provided http://www.dell.com/...0401E0A55174744 the chipset driver which controls the USB ports and controllers is one of if not the first one that should be installed.

Two suggestions are 1: to restore the MBs default settings in the BIOS, it may be something like;
1. press F2 into the BIOS setting menu during post,
2. press "ALT+F" to restore factory default
3. press "ESC" and save the change

Second suggestion is to uninstall all of the present drivers and then install them in the correct order as listed at the link above.

wisesilver

wisesilver

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 501 posts

Hmm, I didn’t install the drivers before in any special order before :whistling: . If I need to reinstall I’ll follow the prescribed approach. In the mean time I rebooted, pressed F2, pressed "ALT+F", nothing came up but after pressing "ESC" it offered “save and reset” so I selected “Yes”. So, this should restore all of my drivers to the way they were when I received the PC?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
Hello wisesilver

In the mean time I rebooted, pressed F2, pressed "ALT+F", nothing came up but after pressing "ESC" it offered “save and reset” so I selected “Yes”. So, this should restore all of my drivers to the way they were when I received the PC?

Sorry but no, the drivers are stored on the HDD and what I was suggesting you do was restore the MBs BIOS settings to the factory defaults (sometimes called "most stable") in case you had a bad MB setting which was causing this, navigate around the BIOS to see if you find such an entry and post back, if you see an entry called "Optimized Settings" please do not be tempted to select it as it can make the computer unstable.