Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Graphics Card Cannot Start Anymore + Want to update Intel Motherboard

• Please log in to reply

jeremygex

jeremygex

• PipPip
  • 45 posts
Chillblast Fusion Sentinel
Windows XP Professional SP3
Intel Core2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz, 3.2GB RAM
NVidia GeForce GTS 8800 512MB Graphics Card

Hello

I think there is a problem with my graphics card. I cannot play video files or games successfully (i.e. last graphics-intensive game froze and I had to reboot) and very briefly there were lines on the screen during a Windows boot. Perhaps my old graphics card is finished or there is a driver problem. In Device Manager the Device Status shows that the graphics card device cannot start (Code 10). I uninstalled the device, restarted Windows and new hardware was detected but I couldn't re-install or update the device driver through Windows. I went to NVidia's website, downloaded & installed the latest driver software (320.18-desktop-winxp-32bit-international-whql.exe) but the graphics card device still cannot start and I guess that I am relying on the built-in graphics card at the moment (scrolling a screen with my web browser is very slow). I read on another help forum that the motherboard chipset may also need to be updated. I ran CPU-Z and got some info (please see attachment), which states that the mainboard chipset is an Intel P35/G33/G31. Intel lists discontined Intel 3 Series Chipboards (please see attachment), but I'm not sure which one is right, possibly the Intel® Desktop Board DP35DP?

Also, I cannot put my computer on Stand By since this problem occurred (I can still Turn Off or Restart).

Am I doing anything right or wrong here? I haven't manually installed graphics cards (this one came with the computer) or updated motherboard chipsets before and I don't have any experience of investigating a computer's bios. I would really appreciate some advice.

Thanks for reading

Jeremy

Attached Thumbnails

• CPU_info.JPG

Edited by jeremygex, 30 June 2013 - 01:12 PM.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,747 posts
:welcome: jeremygex

I guess that I am relying on the built-in graphics card at the moment

Research shows that your MB does not have an integrated video chip so it would appear that the card is using the generic Windows drivers, your MB http://uk.asus.com/M...Socket_775/P5K/

Can you run Speccy and post the url for us please http://www.piriform....file-to-the-web

jeremygex

jeremygex

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
Thank you for your reply phillpower2.
Here's the result of Speccy:
http://speccy.pirifo...zJpBgSLvGiiQLR0

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,747 posts
Thanks jeremygex :thumbsup:

The first thing that I noted was that the auto update is not configured and that Windows has not been updated since 13/04/2013, I suggest that you update the OS before you do anything else as you are presently vulnerable to the risk of malware attack, you may also find that there is a hotfix released that addresses the driver issue.

Let us know when you have updated Windows please.

jeremygex

jeremygex

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
Thank you for highlighting the problem with Windows Update. Running Windows Update with Internet Explorer initially gave this:

The website has encountered a problem and cannot display the page you are trying to view.
[Error code 0x8024402F]
One or more Windows Update components are configured incorrectly
(Automatic Updates set to "On")

I chose "Detect problems and apply the fixes for me" and saved a WindowsUpdateDiagnostic.diagcab file but was unable to open the file and could not find a suitable program on my machine or the internet.

I ran Microsoft Fixit, which found a problem with Windows Update and declared that it had fixed it (please see attachment). When I tried Windows Update again I got the same [Error code 0x8024402F]. After the 3rd attempt of running Microsoft Fixit and Windows Update, it successfully downloaded and installed all of the necessary Windows Updates.

Here's another Speccy snapshot :
http://speccy.pirifo...Xptd1SPmC62KRlr

(There are still issues with slow graphics performance e.g. scrolling down a webpage, sluggish when showing video and going from full screen to minimised. Also lines and dots appear during Windows startup and disappear at Windows login screen. The Stand By option is disabled.)

Many thanks for your help so far.

Attached Thumbnails

• WindowsFixit_WinUpd.JPG

Edited by jeremygex, 02 July 2013 - 08:29 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,747 posts
Run DriverMax to see if any driver updates are recommended for your card http://www.innovativ....com/drivermax/
Please note that you can only download two drivers a day for free and be sure to uncheck the "install AVG toolbar" option.

Can I ask what the brand and model name or number details of your PSU are.

You are welcome BTW :thumbsup:

jeremygex

jeremygex

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
Thanks for the link to DriverMax. After installation I made a backup of the drivers and saved it to a memory stick. A scan shows 33 drivers are not up to date (please see attached screenshot). I've downloaded and installed the first 2 downloads at the top of the list.

The label on the back of the PSU indicates it's a Corsair HX620W:
http://www.corsair.com/en/hx620w.html

Attached Thumbnails

• DriverMax_scan01.JPG

Edited by jeremygex, 02 July 2013 - 05:37 PM.

jeremygex

jeremygex

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
A quick update on the DriverMax list: after 2 driver installations, 26 drivers are not up to date (I've attached a screenshot).

Attached Thumbnails

• DriverMax_scan02.JPG

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,747 posts
Thanks for the update and you are welcome jeremygex :thumbsup:

Before you download any more drivers can you let us know how the computer is behaving since the previous updates were installed.

Corsair is a good brand of PSU and one that I use the most but I am not a fan of the modular versions for various reasons one of which is the risk of a cable coming loose if it is not securely connected.

jeremygex

jeremygex

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
Unfortunately the problems are still there:
(1) If I move a window around the screen or if I scroll down a web page it is very slow to respond.
(2) Video playback is sometimes pixelated (particularly if the video window size is changed) and sluggish when expanded to full screen and vice versa.
(3) Games like Microsoft Solitaire will work, but any game that is more demanding causes the computer to freeze.
(4) The Stand By option has become disabled (I read on Microsoft's website that one of the causes of problems with Stand By is outdated or incompatible device drivers).

Sound is good and there are no problems with connected peripherals; in fact, my Logitech webcam still provides very smooth video capture, even at its highest setting of 1280x960 (1.3MP).

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,747 posts
Time to check the temps and voltage output of the PSU;

Download Speedfan and install it. Once it's installed, run the program and post here the information it shows. The information I want you to post is the stuff that is circled in the example picture I have attached.
If you are running on a vista machine, please go to where you installed the program and run the program as administrator.

Posted Image
(this is a screenshot from a vista machine)

Depending on the results we may need to run further software for comparison http://www.cpuid.com.../hwmonitor.html

jeremygex

jeremygex

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
Thanks for the link to SpeedFan. Here's the information:

Attached Thumbnails

• SpeedFan_reading01.JPG

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,747 posts
With the exception of the AUX 122C reading all else looks ok but I still suggest that you post a HWMonitor comparison for us http://www.cpuid.com.../hwmonitor.html remove the testing software as you see fit please.

jeremygex

jeremygex

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
Thanks for the link to HWMonitor. Here's the information:

Attached Thumbnails

• HWMonitor_reading01.JPG

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,747 posts
Thanks for the update :thumbsup:

The 122C reading now 243C is clearly not right or your computer would be smoking, we will come back to this shortly.

Can you update the drivers that are second and fourth on your second DriverMax screenshot (chipset & smbus)

Please Run the PCPitstop.com OverDrive Full Tests

Here's how:

You must use your Internet Explorer for this procedure. (doesn't work so well in Firefox or others). If your machine is running Vista or Windows 7, you must Select IE to “Run as Administrator”. After completing PCPitstop OverDrive you can close your IE browser and re-open it Normally so that you are no longer running as administrator.

Go to: http://www.pcpitstop...pit/default.asp
Click on "Free Computer Check-up" listed below PC Pitstop OverDrive
In the User Login - Click on "Sign up FREE!"
You'll need to submit a valid email address and create your own password, then click - Create Account(button)

Now enter your email address and password to Log in, Select - Scan this system Now!(button)
You will then be asked to download an ActiveX component and allow it to install.
It is safe and does not compromise your privacy.
Follow the on-screen prompts to install the ActiveX and to allow the Full Tests to be run on your machine.

The Full Tests take about 2 1/2 - 3 minutes on most machines.
When complete, a Results - Summary - Recommended Fixes will be displayed.

Please post the URL internet address, from your Results, back here into this Topic Thread so that we can review the configuration and present performance levels of your machine.

Note: During the graphics 2D and graphics 3D testing, your screen will display some rapidly moving objects.
If you are sensitive to visual flashing, it may cause dizziness. Therefore, look away from the screen during that portion of the testing.

After reviewing the results we will be more informed and may be able to provide better recommendations for you to work towards improving your machine's performance.

While PCPitstop does offer a variety of Paid Products, the PCPitstop OverDrive testing is FREE. Please ignore the references to Paid Products. We prefer to provide manual solution instructions that you can apply directly to your machine.

Thanks to rshaffer61 for the PCPitstop information :thumbsup:

NB: An example of the url that we require and the information that it leads to http://www.pcpitstop.com/betapit/sec.asp?conid=25271813