Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Graphics Card Cannot Start Anymore + Want to update Intel Motherboard

• Please log in to reply

jeremygex

jeremygex

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
Unfortunately, I tried to run Video Memory Stress Test (v1.7.116) today and on 21 July and each time I got the same response shown below (and also in the vmt.log attachment):

Changing video mode to 640x480x16...OK
[21/07/2013 16:53:33] Test started for "Primary Display Driver ()"...
Trying 16bpp RGB:565 mode...NOT SUPPORTED (Code: 88760233)
Trying 16bpp RGB:555 mode...NOT SUPPORTED (Code: 88760233)
Trying 16bpp BGR:565 mode...NOT SUPPORTED (Code: 88760233)
Trying 32bpp RGB:888 mode...NOT SUPPORTED (Code: 88760233)
Trying 32bpp BGR:888 mode...NOT SUPPORTED (Code: 88760233)
NO PASS COMPLETED

I purchased Norton Internet Security 2013 and have just over 6 months of subscription left.

Attached Files

• Attached File  vmt.log   3.39KB   116 downloads

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,019 posts
It is still looking like a driver issue but I am at a loss at anything else to suggest :(

As suggested earlier you could temporarily uninstall Norton to see if it makes any difference, Symantec actually have a feature which allows you to save your product details including registration/licence key to enable you to reinstall their software more quickly.

Had a look at the cards at the links that you provided, both are ok for watching movies - videos however you may be disappointed with the gaming performance that they are capable of depending on the games that you play.

As your present card is still working I would continue using it until your budget allows for a better quality replacement card.

jeremygex

jeremygex

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
The games that I play are all released before 2010 e.g. Thief Deadly Shadows (2004), Chessmaster (2008), Pro Evolution Soccer (2009) and the NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTS coped well enough with all of them.

Given that Windows XP support finishes in April next year, I'll get a new computer with Windows 8, instead of trying to upgrade my 5-year-old computer, so I don't need a very good replacement graphics card.

1) The Asus GeForce 210 1GB Silent Graphics Card & Asus Nvidia GeForce 1GB GT 610 Silent Graphics Card are obviously two of the cheapest cards available, but am I right in thinking they are still more powerful than my NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTS 512 MB card? If so, then I think they are good enough for what I need.

2) DriverSweeper failed to run properly when I wanted to remove the remainder of the NVIDIA files on my computer. Can you suggest another program to remove all NVIDIA files? Would I be right in thinking this would reduce or eliminate any problems with having a new NVIDIA card installed in my computer?

Edited by jeremygex, 21 July 2013 - 12:10 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,019 posts
Yes the newer card is more powerful than the old card memory wise, I mentioned the type of games played as graphic intensive games like skyrim are very popular at the moment, older games though are not as demanding.

What I use for clearing unwanted software http://www.innovative-sol.com/

As long as all traces of any present video drivers are removed you should have no problems installing drivers for a new card.

jeremygex

jeremygex

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
Thanks very much for the Advanced Uninstaller link. I am very grateful for the time you've taken to provide very useful advice and programs that will be helpful in the future.

I think I'll take a chance in getting one of the cheap Asus NVIDIA Graphics Cards. The GeForce GT 610 is supported by DirectX 11; I am wondering if I can play games that require DirectX 9.0c and if I can have both DirectX 11 and DirectX 9.0c installed on Windows XP. I've not installed a graphics card before, so I may need to ask for some advice at a later date!

Edited by jeremygex, 21 July 2013 - 06:16 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,019 posts
Your DirectX will be fine as the problem only arises if the game requires DirectX11 but the card is only DirectX 9.0c capable, one issue that can occur with older games is that they will not run in the newer OSs such as Windows 7 and this in the main can be resolved by using "compatibility mode", this is only a bit of info for your future reference when you upgrade from XP to W7 or W8 :)

I will be more than happy to guide you through fitting the new card when it arrives just let us know when you are ready :thumbsup:

jeremygex

jeremygex

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
Quick update:
I took out the old NVidia GeForce GTS 8800 card and replaced it with an NVidia GeForce GT 610. This seemed to do the trick! All the dots and lines on Windows start up have gone; scrolling is smooth; windows can easily be moved around the desktop; games are running properly; the Stand By function is back. The cheap new card will do fine until a PC upgrade next year.

Many thanks for all of your help and for providing me with useful programs which I will continue to use.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,019 posts
Thanks for the update jeremygex :thumbsup:

Congratulations for carrying out the upgrade yourself and for it would appear resolving the previous issues in the process :)