Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

System cooling/airflow

• Please log in to reply

Splott

Splott

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
Ive had my new system for just over a month but i have no exhaust fans and despite having some quite modest temps, i would like to lower components in general for longevity as well as improving air flow. I also want to experiment by adding fans to add to my profile of PC building and stop my GPU from becoming audible with it gets to 60c, but i guess with more fans anyway things will be the same anyway!

I already have a pre-installed 120mm intake fan at the front of the case and have purchased two 120mm 600-2000rpm PWM fans to add, im thinking of adding my current fan as an intake side fan.

Here are some pics for reference, im just asking for some advice, my front fan will is covered with a dust filter if positive/neg pressure is an issue but the side one does not. How loud should i expect the system to be? The intake and PSU fans are silent, so will adding PWM fans cool down my system enough or will my CPU still raise in temps enough to send my new fans to max RPM?

Here are my idle temps, GPU raisies to 60-70c
idle before.jpg

My current airflow, not sure about PSU RPM
CA-002-XG_25979_350.jpg

Front fan moved to side, two exhaust & two intake
CA-002-XG_25979_5665.jpg

Advertisements

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Gday Splott.
Just in general. Front to back/top, I have found the best, without a side fan, as it often creates disturbance in a clean airflow. I would test without the side fan first, then add and test again. Where possible, all cables kept out of that front to back passage of air flow.
Positive of negative tends to be a personal thing, I prefer positive, especially where there is poor filtering on the intake side.
If using a PWM at the rear? you should connect to a 4 pin Sys/fan header. I prefer the front fan/s with a manual control.
When choosing an intake fan, as well as considering the RPM to noise ratio, The volume and pressure are also important.

http://www.tomshardw...4pin-3pin-molex
http://www.tomshardw...n roundup 2012/

Splott

Splott

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
Thanks, my new rig was made for me and has perfect cable management so im not worried about that. I intend for the side fan to be the one which cools down my GPU fan so that it stays quiet, so unless the front intake alone takes care of this i will be looking to try all three at once. Front and exhaust will both be PWM yes which should give pretty equal air going in and out plus the PSU bringing air upwards.

Will all PWM fans operate at the same speed due to the CPU temp? Is it possible to set these to different levels without using software? My bios has options for Auto, manual (with slopes) and voltage, have you tried fans when using these before?

The fans should be here by the end of the week, il post a new speccy picture to show comparisons! :P

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Thanks for the update.

Will all PWM fans operate at the same speed due to the CPU temp?
A. No. The CPU fan is controlled separately, other fans are controlled by there own sensors on the MB.

The MB SysIs it possible to set these to different levels without using software?
A. Yes. By using the BIOS, but individually or as a group depends on the features available.

My bios has options for Auto, manual (with slopes) and voltage, have you tried fans when using these before?
A. Yes. They all work well, just a matter of personnel preferences.

Please remember to turn of the power and take ant static measures when working on the computer.

Fan connections.
Rear fan to Sys/fan2.
Front fan to Sys/fan3.
Side fan, (fan moved from the front) to Sys/fan1 This header ihas a slightly different pin assignment so not sure how it behaves under BIOS fan control.

Us the BIOS to control fans under M.I.T. User manual, pages 41/42
Go, > CPU fan control mode, > Voltage, > select PWM. Leave other CPU setting at defaults.
1st/2nd/3rd fan control. I would leave them at defaults and test the system. There is not enough information in the manual to determine whether the fans can be individually controlled or as a group, some investigation by you will be needed.

Splott

Splott

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
Are the slots you use for the fans important? My sys 2&3 are different sides of the board so it would be infeasible to use the config you suggested due to wire clutter, cross overs and lack of wire. Also, it looks like my new front fan's wires arnt look enough to reach to the board :( Any extention adapters exist to help me with the extra few inches?

Heres how i have everything set up:
Front > Sys 1 (preinstalled)
Side > Sys 2
Rear > Sys 3

Also haven't noticed PWM working either, i experimented with different options and even disabled and my new 2 fans charged up at max at 2000rpm.. i would have thought this would have turned off the fans completely but it just seems that it turns of PWM?

Is there anyway to make my PWM fans react to GPU and not CPU temperature? This is the thing i need cooling so i don't get the added noise, my CPU is unclocked (and unclockable!) and has its stock cooler which runs fine, its my GPU which runs hot so the current set up doesn't work for me.

Also, with my rear fan in running at 1100 avg (how its set up now anyway) i don't see any change in temps despite it exhausting more hot air then my psu does and being directly over the GPU. Is this normal? Which temps should i be expecting or is the airflow more important?

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Gday.

Is there anyway to make my PWM fans react to GPU and not CPU temperature?

A. no. CPU, GPU and MB sensors are all separate each having it's own controls. You should be able to set the GPU fan speed in steps, linked to temps, say starting with 40C to 600 rpm, with the top temp of 80C to fan full speed. There is little you can do if your fan is very noisy except installing an after market heatsink and fan, Something I would not do.

Also, with my rear fan in running at 1100 avg (how its set up now anyway)
A. If it is variable looks like PWM is working.

i don't see any change in temps despite it exhausting more hot air then my psu does and being directly over the GPU. Is this normal?
A. It is normal for the rear fan to exhaust more than the PSU, It may also be delaying the GPU fan from kicking into top speed.

Which temps should i be expecting or is the airflow more important?
CPU, 30C idle, under 60C full load. GPU, can't say as I do not know what is installed, in general, 70C to 80C, tops, depending on the card. Do some Goggling on your particular card.

Using particular fan headers was a suggestion, if the wires don't suite, go with what you can. bconnect one fan at a time and see how you can control it.
Ecample of a 4 pin fan cable extender, you may be able to dfind cheaper, > http://www.amazon.co...s/dp/B0058DN7B8

Splott

Splott

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
Got around 4c-6c lower temps with front and exhaust fans in, decided against the side fan as it was really noisy without a filter and actually increased the temps of the GPU when i was testing without the front fan. The only problem i had was that the cable for my front fan was too short so i had to buy a 4pin extension lead but all is working well now :D

The only problem i have no with my new pc is getting all the stuff from my HDD onto my new one.. because the IDE to SATA adapter i bought doesn't work :(

Thanks for the help! :D

idle after.jpg

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Thanks for letting us know the results.
Well done getting the mods completed. Posted Image

Your welcome, Posted Image