Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

PC overheating?

• Please log in to reply

serida

serida

• PipPip
  • 47 posts
I think my PC is overheating & am not sure why.
Firstly it is an XP system machine which is about 10 years old. I have newer machines with Windows 8 but my XP machine is my favourite & the one I use most of the time.
Occasionally the fans within the tower have come on full speed sounding like a vacuum cleaner. I have turned off the machine & pulled it further away from the wall to allow better circulation. I have also removed the side panel & cleaned any bits of fluff on the vents. That has usually resolved the issue.
For the past three days however this has increased to about three times each evening. A day ago I left the side panel off & a few hours ago the fans still came on full speed. Before this happened I was trying to launch Word that took forever to open.
Today in London the weather is very hot & humid & so is the room where the machine is situated.
What could the problem be the hot weather or the machine itself given its age?
If it is to do with the age of the machine what is causing the fans to come on at full speed?

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,007 posts
Hello serida

There are many computers still in use today that are older than yours so no worries there however one item that does need and should be replaced in the interim is the PSU (power supply unit) as they have a guaranteed life expectancy that ranges from a minimal 1 year for a budget level PSU or 7 years for a high end brand PSU, both also have what is known as a (Mean time between failure rating) of for example MTBF>100,000 Hours, if your PSU is the original it may be the cause of your issues so we will check that first;

Download Speedfan and install it. Once it's installed, run the program and post here the information it shows. The information I want you to post is the stuff that is circled in the example picture I have attached.
If you are running on a vista machine, please go to where you installed the program and run the program as administrator.

Posted Image
(this is a screenshot from a vista machine)

To capture and post a screenshot;

Click on the ALT key + PRT SCR key..its on the top row..right hand side..now click on start...all programs...accessories...paint....left click in the white area ...press CTRL + V...click on file...click on save...save it to your desktop...name it something related to the screen your capturing... BE SURE TO SAVE IT AS A .JPG ...otherwise it may be to big to upload... then after typing in any response you have... click on browse...desktop...find the screenshot..select it and click on the upload button...then on the lower left...after it says upload successful...click on add reply like you normally would.

Depending on the results we may need to run further software for comparison http://www.cpuid.com.../hwmonitor.html

Screenshot instructions are provided to assist those that may read this topic but are not yet aware of the “how to”.

serida

serida

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
Thank you philpower2 for such a helpful reply!
Since my OP I have left the side panel off & for three days the fans have not come on loudly, just the normal hum.
here is the snapshot that you requested. I hope it may be of some help. Obviously when I ran the application the fans were running as normal.
Thank you.

SpeedFan.jpg

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,007 posts
Thanks for the update and screenshot serida :thumbsup:

Good troubleshooting on your behalf and I feel that you have identified a lack of cool clean air being circulated around inside of the case.

The output from the PSU looks fine which is a +.

When you did your clean out of dust did you check the fins on the heatsink below the CPU cooling fan as they can also get clogged up.

You are welcome BTW :)

serida

serida

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
Thanks phillpower2.
Yes. all fluff etc is removed everywhere,
I still have the panel removed.
A day ago I was converting a video clip to another format, the fans came on high speed. I know this application uses a lot of CPU. When the fans got louder I launched task manager & saw I was running CPU at 100% Ending the conversion the fans then returned to normal speed. This room at the moment is 81 deg so quite hot.
A week ago while running my anti virus scan which can take up to four hours the fans ran at high speed again.
Can running certain applications force the fans to come on at full speed or is it just a case of poor ventilation?
Thank you.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,007 posts
You are welcome serida :thumbsup:

Your computers hardware is actually working as it should by the fan speed increasing the way it is.

What you have at the moment is rather warm UK temperature, hardware that is around 10 years old and so not as efficient as it was when new + demanding tasks such as converting video that works the CPU, video chip and PSU harder which in turn also produces extra heat that needs to be expelled from the inside of the case.

The most effective case cooking can be achieved by having an induction fan at the front of the case to draw in cooler, clean air, a clean and efficient CPU cooling fan, an exhaust fan at the rear of the case to expel the hot air from inside the case and finally something that is often overlooked which is good internal cable management that allows the air to be circulated around the inside of the case allowing the hardware to be cooled.