Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Equipment Compatibility-Old Computer / New Monitor?

• Please log in to reply

CharlotteLaws

CharlotteLaws

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I am saving my very old computers (probably 15 years old plus) because they have documents on them that I might need to retrieve in the future. These computers are only DOS (that's how old they are). My question... can I dump all of my bulky old monitors and use a new monitor if I need to operate them in the future? Or do I need to keep one bulky old monitor to use with these computers? Thanks in advance.

Advertisements

Brazened

Brazened

• PipPipPip
  • 184 posts
Depends on what they are. If they're CGA or EGA then you have to keep them. For VGA most new monitor have then or have adapters with them for it.

EDIT: I just realized that you might have monochrome monitors (green or yellow) then you really have to keep them.

Edited by Brazened, 30 June 2013 - 06:41 PM.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,307 posts
May I suggest that you try and retrieve them now?
That way you can get the originals and also make back ups of them.