Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

7870 Dual VGA monitor question

• Please log in to reply

Ed89

Ed89

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi all just a question. I have just bought an Asus 7870 with I thought 2 DVI connections. So here is my dilemma, I have two VGA monitors, so I connect both the adapter so it will plug into the DVI slot perfect I then try it in the other DVI slot and it won't fit. I'm baffled as they look the same however I do notice that one has DVI/VGA written beside it and the other one just DVI but both look the same.

So my question is what do I need to buy converter wise to make this work it also has a HDMI and a display port.

Link to what my graphics card has port wise:http://www.asus.com/Graphics_Cards/HD7870DC2TG2GD5V2

D-Sub Output X1 (through DVI to D-Sub adapter)
DVI Output X1 (Native)
HDMI Output X1 (Native)
DisplayPort Output X2 (Native mini DisplayPort)

I also e-mailed Asus and they said:

"1x Dual-link DVI-D
1x Dual-link DVI-I
I am afraid to tell you that you need to use two different converters."

This was supplied with the GFX card - 1x DVI to D-sub adaptor

I have managed to confuse myself heaps can someone link me what adapter I need to buy to get my other monitor to work!

Many thanks

Advertisements

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Gday Ed89, Posted Image
Please give us the brand and model of both monitors. If one of them has speakers, do you want to use the sound output on it?