Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Blue fn key

• Please log in to reply

Niyol

Niyol

• PipPipPip
  • 160 posts
Hello
I'm trying to get the blue Fn Key to work so that I can use it to turn up the volume, turn the wireless off, lock pc ect ect.
Ive re installed the OS about a week ago so I may have done something to it then, oooopp's.

Looking forward to using the FN key really I am.

Thankin u
o0o

Advertisements

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Did you install all the drivers after the reinstall? What does Device Manager look like, any yellow marks showing.

What is the make and full model number of your computer.

Edit: How did you reinstall? Did you use a built-in recovery partition, manufacturers recovery disc or what????
Also, what is the Operating System. Vista/7, Home Premium, Pro, Ultimate, 32 or 64 bit?

Niyol

Niyol

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts
Hello ZTrucker thank you for assisting me :) much appreciated
Yes all the drivers have been installed and there are no yellow marks next to any items in device manager.
I do regular updates nearly every time I use the computer.
It's OS is windows 7 starter - 32bit - Samsung NP-NF110-A01DX
I used the disk that came with the PC to reinstall the computer.
I also went to the driver website and tried all the drivers they had none I found made it work and I downloaded and tried the lot it took ages. (every driver they had I tried on the off chance something was labeled wrong)

o0o

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
I can't find NP-NF110-A01DX on the Samsung web site. Are you sure of the model number? Can you post a link to where you were downloading from?

Niyol

Niyol

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts
Hiya ZTrucker
Sure, it's
http://www.samsung.c...alDownload=true

I only look up the NP-NF110 but the full model number on the case is NP-NF110-A01DX, the picture for NP-NF110 is the same as the little netbook I'm using.

Thank you Ztrucker
o0o

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Sorry to say I don't see anything on the web site that has anything to do with the keyboard.

Give the Samsung Live Chat a try perhaps? Samsung Support. Click on Live chat under Computers on the right.

Niyol

Niyol

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts
Hello Ztrucker
I tried the live chat window they sent me to that download page after I told them I've tried it all. I will try them again and see.

Thanks for your time and help :)
o0o

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Sorry you are going round in circles.

Did you install the latest Chipset driver from the web site?

Windows 7(32bit) 9.2.2.1029 Chipset 23 Nov, 2011 MULTI LANGUAGE 2.59 MB

Niyol

Niyol

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts
Hello
After I reinstalled again I only added the vga graphics and the wireless driver from the Samsung site and then did the Microsoft update which updated all the other drivers for me. Should I do the chipset from there site or did the Microsoft update cover that?
The live chat said I had to e-mail support so I did and they said they will e-mail back in a 48 hour window.
Thanks very much for the help you are giving me Ztrucker it is appreciated a great deal.

o0o

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
I would try the chipset. Won't hurt if it's already been updated.

Niyol

Niyol

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts
Hi
I installed the driver for the chipset, I don't notice any difference to the machine, not sure if I'm meant to?
I've not herd a peep from Samsung, you would think they would know the answer to a driver question just like that seems as they built the thing and it's been 48 hours.
Thanks for your time and effort ZTrucker I really appreciate your kindness in helping me.
You can close this topic if you like as I don't think there is any thing else I can do except paint a new key in the FN keys place and pretend if its pressed it summons foxy ladies who will feed me fruit and fan me in the heat.
Thank you again
o0o

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
I noticed there is a BIOS update under Firmware, give that a try. The help says:

BIOSUpdaate.jpg

Niyol

Niyol

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts
Hi funny you should say that I was just going to give that a try. I've had a folder on my pc with that sticker you show and the how to update the bios and the bios driver waiting to do just that.
I will attempt it first thing in the morning whilst I eat breakfast.
Thanks

o0o :)

Niyol

Niyol

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts
Hi ZTrucker you have fixed my FN key wahoooo thank you thank you :) It was when I went to do the bios update that it said you can't do a bios update without having easy display manager installed first so I installed that and it was the driver that control's the FN key, I must have missed it when I originally installed all the driver from the driver page, man I feel a noodle doodle.

For others who cant get there FN key work on the Samsung NP-NF110 it's a driver called Easy_Display_Manager_3.2.4.5
From this link http://www.samsung.c...downloadName=SW

Many many thank you's for your kindness, time, patience and help with this matter.

o0o

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Great! Easy Display Manager didn't strike me as having anything to do with the keyboard either. Glad you got it working.