Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Shutdown errors

• Please log in to reply

aalborgenser

aalborgenser

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
The scan (sfc /scannow) will not start. Says something like (tranlated from Danish) "Ressource protection could not start the repair service".

Advertisements

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP
That helps.

Search for services.msc and when it finds it right click on it and Run As Admin. Then find the Windows Modules Installer and right click on it and select Properties.

The Startup Type should be Manual. If not change it to Manual and Apply.

Try to Start the service. Does it Start (Stop button will be enabled if it Started OK)? If you get an error tell me what it says. IF not go back and search for cmd.exe and right click on it and Run As Admin then type sfc /scannow and tell me what it says now.

aalborgenser

aalborgenser

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
It did start but the message is the same.

Edited by aalborgenser, 02 August 2013 - 02:30 PM.

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP
Start, All Programs, Accessories, right click on Command Prompt and Run as Administrator, Continue. Type with an Enter after each line:
net  start  trustedinstaller

It should say:

The Windows Modules Installer service is starting.
The Windows Modules Installer service was started successfully.

Does it?

If not copy the next line:

reg query HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\TrustedInstaller > %userprofile%\desktop\junk.txt

then move back to the Command Window and right click and Paste it. Hit Enter. There should be a file junk.txt on your desktop. Double click on it and copy and paste it into a reply.

If it does start OK then right click on Start and select Open Windows Explorer then navigate to c:\Windows\servicing.. Right click on TrustedInstaller.exe and select Properties then Security. Click on Administrators. There should be check marks for Read & Execute and Read. Click on TrustedInstallers it should have all items checked (except Special permissions). Does it?

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP
Going to take a little nap. Go to bed if you haven't already.

aalborgenser

aalborgenser

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Hitting the first command: "the requested service has already been started".

Then going to Explorer etc. everything looks okay.

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP
Go back to post #30

http://www.geekstogo...ost__p__2319365

and follow it. The idea is to capture what is going wrong with process Monitor when sfc doesn't start. Hopefully it will tell us what needs to be fixed.

aalborgenser

aalborgenser

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
No changes. Cmd says the same. If I continue I do get some kind of logfile but it's an Exel document which I can't attach.

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP
Either use 7-zip or winzip to zip up the log or just rename it and change the extension to txt. Then it should work.

aalborgenser

aalborgenser

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Should I throw in the towel and... format c:? :whistling:

Attached Files

Advertisements