Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Windows XP stars up to blank screen

• Please log in to reply

jimbo451

jimbo451

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Hi. I have a problem...I bought a new agp graphics card and whilst trying to make the thing work I (for some reason) disabled the vga driver in windows and uninstalled the driver for onboard graphics card. When I rebooted it goes to windows XP loading screen for a few secs and then goes completely blank (black screen- no pointer or anything). Same thing happens in safe mode, last known settings, etc. Can't even get to command prompt (shows about a page of drivers and stuff its loading and then locks). Also tried repairing XP installation with windows CD with no joy. I can get to recovery console via windows CD but not sure how or if I can do anything here. Just to clarify, the new graphics card is not inserted as when it is the monitor receives no signal. I've been struggling with this for about a week-prob managed to do more harm than good in that time! Reinstalling windows seems to be last option. Can I setup a separate partition to do this outside windows??? Any suggestions would be welcome. Thanks

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
windows and hardware changes can result in unpredicatable problems.

If you have a windows xp cd, i would install a new installation, but NOT format or alter partitions.

I would install it to a non-default location (c:\winnt, instead of c:\windows).

Then I would recover my files and reinstall programs.

Whether you can do it that simply depends on what kind of xp cd you have (oem, retail, recovery (oh no!) , upgrade)

jimbo451

jimbo451

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Thanks for that. I've reinstalled windows in a different location and it seems to be working fine. How do I go about retrieving my files? do I have to delete the other copy of windows?