Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

nice simple question about fan size

• Please log in to reply

Themkman

Themkman

• PipPip
  • 35 posts
hello

I have converted all my cables and access in my pc to blue but i still have this horrible RED stock CPU fan. The question is how do i measure it to get a new fan, is it side to side or like tv's corner to corner? and any suggestions on what type of fans i should be looking at?

my mb is a GIGABYTE GA-78LMT-USB3 AMD 760G and the processor is a AMD FX 4100 4ghz

Edited by Themkman, 02 July 2013 - 04:06 AM.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
You do not need to measure the CPU cooling fan unless you have limited space inside the case, if this is the same computer as the one at your earlier topic then what you are looking for is an AM2+ CPU cooling fan http://www.geekstogo...08#entry2308608 These fans can be quite expensive BTW and especially blue ones, how about a neutral colour or black/white but no red.

As an asides I missed your edited post at your other topic as the edit was done after my last reply.

Themkman

Themkman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
thanks for the reply phil

No this one is for my main gaming pc, which touch wood still works fine :)

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
You are welcome Themkman :thumbsup:

Can you tell us what processor your gaming rig has so we can look for suitable CPU cooling fans.

Sorry missed your edit :blush:

Does your case have room for the following type of CPU cooler or do you only wish to replace the cooling fan itself http://www.amazon.co...U/?tag=pcp0f-21

Edited by phillpower2, 02 July 2013 - 05:09 AM.
Link added

Themkman

Themkman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
i have listed my processor and motherboard in the post above.

my mb is a GIGABYTE GA-78LMT-USB3 AMD 760G

and the processor is a AMD FX 4100 4ghz

I also want to get a new exhaust fan for the back of my tower and its the oval type one so i also need to know how to measure for it?

Edited by Themkman, 02 July 2013 - 05:03 AM.

Themkman

Themkman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
i was kind of hoping that i didnt have to swap out the heat sink aswell as im not too keen on putting new heat putty, not too sure how to do it properly to be honest.

IMAG0743.jpg

IMAG0745.jpg

pics of the cpu space

and this is a pic of where i would like to put an oval exhaust fan but need to know how to measure what size i need?

IMAG0744.jpg

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
http://www.scan.co.u...premium-pwm-fan
For the CPU cooling fan you could purchase a HS that has a detachable fan like yours, example http://www.ebay.co.u...=item35c8fada61 finding a fan on it`s own is proving difficult but I will keep looking.

Themkman

Themkman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
maybe a stupic question but could i not use a case fan or do they not work as i believe they may move air in the wrong direction???

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
Not a stupid question at all and in answer to your question as long as the screw holes on the fan correspond with those of the HS yes you could use one (there is a but though) the direction in which the air is pushed or pulled depends on the heatsinks own fitting instructions as they are not all the same, put the fan on in the same orientation as the present red one and you cannot go wrong, now the but part, keep in mind that the CPU fan will have either 3 or 4 pin connections so as to monitor the CPU temps and RPMs of the fan and any replacement fan needs the same to keep a check on CPU temps etc.

Themkman

Themkman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
the fans you linked me where for my broken pc the amd phenom the fan im looking for is for the amd fx 4100

I am a little concerned with using a case fan as im not sure they have the same RPM or at least enough for the use i give it, I play very demanding games for hours on end, and the last thing i want is for the processor to overheat, so i either need to get a new heatsink with fan and get the guts to fit it correctly, or just hope that i can get a fan that will fot my current sink, but how do i measure what size fan i need?

Edited by Themkman, 02 July 2013 - 09:18 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

the fans you linked me where for my broken pc the amd phenom the fan im looking for is for the amd fx 4100

I am a little concerned with using a case fan as im not sure they have the same RPM or at least enough for the use i give it, I play very demanding games for hours on end, and the last thing i want is for the processor to overheat, so i either need to get a new heatsink with fan and get the guts to fit it correctly, or just hope that i can get a fan that will fot my current sink, but how do i measure what size fan i need?

You said earlier;

i was kind of hoping that i didnt have to swap out the heat sink aswell as im not too keen on putting new heat putty, not too sure how to do it properly to be honest.

You then asked a question and I answered it - I also mentioned the temps and rpm information :thumbsup:

The suggested Product description;

Other than being installed for 24 hours whilst waiting for a different cooler to arrive this is brand new, it looks and works as such. I will include a sachet of thermal paste in order to apply to the cpu before installation.

Genuine AMD heatsink and fan from a retail boxed A10 5800K socket AM2 CPU. This fan / heatsink will cool the AMD Sempron, Athlon, FX, X2, X4, AM2, AM3 and FM1 range of processors.

The fan is easily removable if you wanted to add a coloured fan instead.

This fan will work with sockets 754, 939, 940, FX, AM2, AM3 and FM1 pin Athlon 64 processor.

The crux of it is that you would be far better to purchase a new heatsink and cooling fan that is specific to your CPU as it will have a guarantee, have a pre applied thermal pad on the HS + be 100% compatible.

Compatible CPU fan suggestion http://www.amazon.co...6/?tag=pcp0f-21

Edited by phillpower2, 02 July 2013 - 10:34 AM.
Link added

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Gday.
Looking at the pic of your rear exhaust fan, it appears to be too small as it does not covers the perforated back vent holes. measure across the top two screw holes.

Visible are three slightly protruding screw holes, two at the top and one bottom left, measure across the top two holes,,, then top left to bottom left.
What brand/model is the case?
A short video showing the installation of a AMD heat-sink and fan assemble,
>

Themkman

Themkman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
thank you very much, yeah i am looking to replace the exhaust fan aswell. i can not remember what the case is called im afraid, but i will upload some pics and maybe you may know?

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
The fans are measured across and up and down (not diagonally like a TV). The holes are what you are trying to match up, but the actual dimension of the fan will be a little bit more because it is measured edge to edge. You may also need a depth adjustment if you are limited on space in the cabinet (this is usually not a problem).

All fans will have a tag with voltage amperage, and rpm on them to assist in matching them. Exact fans are becoming difficult to match on older CPU's. I had to retrofit one on my CPU. I couldn't get the right depth nor longer screws to mount it.