Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Video Card Confusion!

• Please log in to reply

jen147

jen147

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 223 posts
Well Phil, looks like a huge problem has occurred. Removed the new video card, plugged back into the old one. Everything came up and all the icons & writing was huge, so I went to device manager, the old video graphics was listed, I chose to update the driver to fix the big interface problem, it said it had found an update & installed it then said it needed to be restarted for the changes to take effect. So I said yes. Then it shuts down & comes back up, and I get as far as the Starting Windows page, the color orbs forming the windows icon then it goes dark like it's about to bring up the user page so I can get back on but it never happens, it just stays dark. Can't see anything but the cursor. Nothing. I'm freaking out a little bit here.

Will add one thing. When the computer came back on the first time, when we got the big interface, from what we could tell my Son said the lines were gone. He tried to bring up Minecraft to check for sure but it would not play, said an error had occurred because video drivers were not installed. So that's when I tried to update the drivers for the old graphics.

Please help!

Advertisements

jen147

jen147

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 223 posts
Ok, crisis averted... sorta. After my last post I booted into safe mode and went into Devise Manager and deleted the old graphics, rebooted, let windows find the new drivers, rebooted, still black screen only cursor visible. So I asked my husband to reinstall the new video card so my son could have a computer back even if just for the rest of the day. So he did, opened the driver I had saved to the desktop, let it do its thing and all went well, my son went on minecraft and the diagonal lines are gone! Don't know if it was a matter of uninstalling those drivers then reinstalling them or if it was taking that card out then reseating it, but either way, the lines are gone.

I think we'll just leave it as is. I don't know if you consider the problem with the integrated graphics something that needs to be fixed, it was non operational after all, but it's not needed at this time. So what do you think?

heartgrave

heartgrave

• PipPipPip
  • 488 posts
The huge icons are usually related to the resolution. This can be adjusted in the display properties. Simply right click an empty space on the desktop and click properties or personalize (depends on the Windows you have) and click display then slide the resolution bar to the desired setting. Glad to hear you got it fixed!

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,710 posts
You have been through the mill with this Jen but you have each kept your composure and dealt with it admirably, well done to all for that :thumbsup:

Drivers can be fickle and can sometimes install without a hitch but on occasion they can be a nightmare, as a rule of thumb drivers should only be updated if it is to address a known issue and they are best left alone if all is well, some Informationon this.

I would suggest that you see how things go with the fresh driver installation as they may have been all that needs to be done.

As an asides I apologise for the delay in my reply but this is due to the UK - US time zone difference, thank you heartgrave for pitching in with the screen resolution information :thumbsup:

jen147

jen147

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 223 posts
Thanks so much Phillpower & heartgrave for all your help! Yes we are going to leave as is. My 16 yr old has decided that instead of getting another video card to improve the FPS he wants to save up and just build his own gaming computer. He's a bit of a perfectionist & probably won't be happy w/ the performance any other way so it's probably a good idea. He's very good w/ money so it might not take him long, we'll be back when he's ready :thumbsup:

I'll keep the info about the screen resolution in mind, but the old graphics wasn't even working (black screen) before we decided to just put the new video card back in. So am kind of writing it off at this point.

Yes, Phillpower I noticed you were in the UK & we looked up the time when I posted & it was probably bedtime for you, so I knew it would be today before I heard from you. It all worked out in the end though and I'm so appreciative of the time you volunteered helping me! Much appreciated!

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,710 posts
You are most welcome jen147 :thumbsup:

When your son is nearing the time to build his new computer we will be on hand to answer any questions that he may have or to provide suggestions for components, a build tutorial courtesy of Troy and Artellos respectively, hopefully there will be no further computer problems in the meantime.