Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Boot problem after using wrong restore disk

• Please log in to reply

ericfatherree

ericfatherree

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I have an emachine that I was performing a restore on with the factory disk, after install noticed it was the wrong ones. I have two machines that were from the same year and apparently lost the disk for the machine I need to get working.

After the ghost install was finished and wiped the HD clean, it will only boot to the "windows has encountered and error" and ask if I would like to start normal, start in safe mode or start with last know good settings.

I have attempted to set bios to default thinking it was just detecting something there. I didn't think that the software installed would affect the opening of windows. I looked all over the house for a OEM disk that was non specific to machine and do not have one.

Is there anything I can do to make windows Xp boot like normal??

Advertisements

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts
Restore disk are made for a specific pc, meaning that the drivers are on the disk for the hardware of that specific pc. If you installed windows with another restore disk that is not for your emachine then windows will not boot due to defective drivers (wrong ones or missing drivers)

The only way is to find the right recovery disk (if possible) or use an oem of your XP version (Pro or Home with the right service pack) and enter the product key that must be on a sticker somewhere on your machine.

If using an oem disk not from Emachine then after installing windows you must install all the right drivers that you will find on the Emachine website starting in order:

Chipset drivers
Lan drivers
Video drivers
etc.

Hope that helps

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Will it boot to Safe Mode? If so you can start Device Manager from there and see if it shows any Yellow marks. If yes disable it and Video, Network and Audio. Then download the right drivers from the Emachines web site for your machine from another computer, put on a flash drive then boot normally and see if you can install them.

If this isn't clear let me know.

ericfatherree

ericfatherree

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
No it will not boot to safe mood. It just keeps trying to boot then restarts. I will try to find an oem disk for xp.