Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

No Video output

• Please log in to reply

DrJohn3030

DrJohn3030

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
I'm trying to put together a new computer from parts. I have a new Mboard (Gigabyte GA 970A-DS3). The new Video /graphics card is by Sapphire (HD5450). The monitor and Video cable work (I connected another computer to them) but there doesn't seem to be any VGA output. The CPU is AMD's FX-6100 which should work with that board and the video card. There doesn't seem to be any plugs for power or audio or anything else.
At this point I'm wondering if there was something obvious that I overlooked. Are there any suggestions?
drjohn3030

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
:welcome: DrJohn3030

Have to ask this basic question I`m afraid, have you connected both the 24 pin main power connection and the 4 pin +12V ATX connection that supplies power to the CPU.

The CPU and video card are indeed compatible with the MB but can you provide the Ram details - brand, specification and amount please, a link to the Ram would be helpful.

Once we have an update if still required we can suggest some troubleshooting steps, have you tried the video card in the second video card slot at all.

DrJohn3030

DrJohn3030

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Thanks for the prompt reply. I have connected the 2 power plugs - both the 24 pin and the 4 pin plugs. The fans all come on (that's how I know its on).
There are 2 separate and different Ram modules. 8 Gb total - Each with 4 Gb of RAM. One is by Patriot and the other is by Kingston.
I have tried the Video card in the other PCL16 slot. This MB has 2 Slots that are the right size for the Video Card but neither gives me VGA through the card. Is the card set by default from the factory for DVI output only?
Drjohn3030

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
Thanks for the update Drjohn3030 :thumbsup:

You should never mix brands of Ram so as to avoid compatibility issues, see my canned text below;

For the best and most stable performance you should where possible purchase a CPU and Ram that have been tested and approved by the motherboard manufacturer, this is referred to as the QVL ( qualified vendors list ) understand though that there are too many products released for them all to be tested so other hardware will be compatible but not proven to be.

Your MBs Ram QVL http://uk.gigabyte.c...ry support list

Many MBs will not work unless there is Ram in DIMM slot 1, has the Ram been inserted into the DIMM slots as shown in the attachment below;

DrJohn3030

DrJohn3030

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Thanks again.
Yes the RAM is inserted into the slots as shown.
I'm checking on the comptability issue.
Drjohn3030

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
Can you provide a link to the two sticks of Ram that you have so that we can check the specs, is the Ram out of the wrapper new.

If the Ram is compatible with your MB try placing a single stick of Ram in slot one and see if the computer will boot, repeat the procedure with only the second stick of Ram in slot one, let us know how it goes.

Just a FYI, if you purchase a MB that does not have an onboard BIOS speaker which can help with troubleshooting spend a little extra cash and invest in a BIOS speaker like the one in the attachment below;

DrJohn3030

DrJohn3030

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Hi!! Thanks again.
I checked - the RAM by Kingston is on that list but the one by Patriot is not.
I tried putting them in 1 at a time in slot 1 but it still didn't work.
Thanks for the advice about the speaker. I'm using one just like that.
DrJohn3030

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
Hello DrJohn3030 - thanks for the update :thumbsup:

I would now remove the MB and do a barebones set-up outside of the case, please see my canned text below;

Best couple of suggestions I can make would be first remove the MB and do a barebones set-up on a piece of cardboard (make sure it is larger than the MB) only connect the PSU, the GFX card, screen, 1 stick of Ram and the keyboard.
IF your MB doesn`t have a power test switch you will then need to short out the 2 power on pins on the MB header to get the PSU to activate, you can use a small flat bladed screwdriver or a paper clip bent into a U shape, this is perfectly safe if you do not touch anything else, the idea is to see if we can get a BIOS screen if you do you can then add one component at a time until you find the problem component, you must power down and remove the power cord from the wall before adding another component, second suggestion try a known working PSU, it is not unknown for new components to be bad, third suggestion try and loan an ordinary PCI graphics card (not pci-e) again to try and get a BIOS screen.

Other things worth checking include, if you used stand offs beneath the MB are they in the correct locations (only where there is a screw hole in the MB) otherwise the MB will short out, check for stray screws or bared wires for the same reason, make sure the jumper cap that can be used for clearing the CMOS is not missing or on the wrong pins and finally try removing the CMOS battery for a few moments and then replace it, this will clear any possible bad MB settings.

If still no joy the CPU may need to be removed and inspected for signs of damage such as bent or missing pins etc.

DrJohn3030

DrJohn3030

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Thanks for all the help so far.
Sorry its taking so long. I don't have a lot of resources and I'm having a hardd time finding a power supply and video card that will attach to the MB. I have been trying to do things in the order that you mentioned them. I do know that there is a small amount of grease for the heat sink that leaked down onto the socket. What can I usee to clean it with?
Drjohn3030

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
You are welcome

Sorry its taking so long. I don't have a lot of resources

No problem - take as long as you need.

I'm having a hardd time finding a power supply and video card that will attach to the MB.

Have you tried the present PSU and video card and if so what happened.

I do know that there is a small amount of grease for the heat sink that leaked down onto the socket.

:oops:
This may explain your problem as too much thermal paste is as bad as not enough, the thermal grease may be shorting out the CPU/MB socket.

An example of how to clean up the likes of Arctic Silver 5 residue;

Removal From Hardware:
Thermal compound can easily be removed from hardware using the proper cleaners and tools: For general clean up, a cloth or paper towel will work well. Intricate cleaning can be accomplished with Q-tip swabs. An old toothbrush can often get the compound out of crevices that other tools cannot reach. Again, use ArctiClean 1 and 2 or high-purity isopropyl alcohol.
CPU Core: Remove thermal material with ArctiClean 1 and 2, a xylene based cleaner, (Goof Off and some carburetor cleaners) or high-purity isopropyl alcohol and a LINT FREE cloth (a lens cleaning cloth or coffee filter). If you use Goof Off or another xylene based cleaner always follow up with a cleaning of high- purity isopropyl alcohol.
Heatsink: Remove thermal material with ArctiClean 1 and 2, a xylene based cleaner, (Goof Off and some carburetor cleaners) or high-purity isopropyl alcohol and a LINT FREE cloth (a lens cleaning cloth or coffee filter). If you use Goof Off or another xylene based cleaner always follow up with a cleaning of high- purity isopropyl alcohol.
CPU Ceramic Package: Remove thermal compound with ArctiClean 1 and 2, a liquid dish soap (not dishwasher detergent), WD-40, Citrus based cleaners, xylene based products (Goof Off, some carburetor cleaners and many brake cleaners.) or mineral spirits. Once the majority of the compound has been removed from the ceramic, small patches remaining on the ceramic package can be 'erased' with a soft eraser.

What brand of thermal grease did you use.

Advertisements

DrJohn3030

DrJohn3030

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Hi ! Thanks for being so patient.

Cleaning did not help but when I removed the AMD chip and inspected it (the first time was without magnification and then I came back with mag. and could see the pin)I saw no problems at first but re-inspection with mag/ showed a single bent pin on the chip. It appeared to be bent at a right-angle and was touching the pin next to it. The warranty/replacement department was down for more than 1 week. When I finally got a new chip everything seemed to work - I now have video output and can access the Bios. All I have to do now is figure out how to get the bios to recognize the optical drive attached, then I'll be "home free."

Thanks again for your help.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
Hello DrJohn3030

All I have to do now is figure out how to get the bios to recognize the optical drive attached, then I'll be "home free."

Can you tell us what you have tried, is the drive new and known to be working and what number SATA port is the drive connected to on the MB, on some MBs devices connected to SATA port 3 cannot be used/configured as a boot device and so you would not be able to use that port to install the OS to the HDD etc.

DrJohn3030

DrJohn3030

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Thanks for all your help.
The drive I'm trying to use is an old one from another computer. Its a Sony DRU - V200A. It was working when I took it out of the old machine. Its an EIDE drive but I got an adapter for it so it would work with SATA plugs. The adapter is a small board with a connector to IDE ( 40 pins female), a 4 pin power connector, and 2 connectors for SATA Data cable (labeled "IDE host => SATA HD" and "SATA Host => IDE HD". There is a red led that comes on when the power is on.
The drive is getting power because The light on the front comes on and the tray comes out.
The B
IOS does not recognize it because When I go to 'system" and then ATA components it lists the 6 SATA ports and The hard drive model # is listed next to port 5 but the optical drive does not show. The drive is attached to port 4.
Thanks again. I didn't think I would need any more help but I was wrong.
Drjohn3030

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
Is it possible that the adapter is not intended to be used with optical drives!

labeled "IDE host => SATA HD" and "SATA Host => IDE HD".

Just a thought on my behalf.

Try the enable SATA AHCI mode (if it is supported) in the BIOS.

DrJohn3030

DrJohn3030

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Hi !!
Both adapters worked when I finally got the drives hooked up in master mode. Now the BIOS is reporting that I connected a HP drivebut I know it says Phillips on the outside of the drive. Is that a problem?
Drjohn3030