Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

My freaking computer caught fire

• Please log in to reply

Joly1990

Joly1990

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I woke up this morning and turned on my pc, it shut off after about 2 seconds, I looked over to see what the heck was going on and I saw smoke coming out of it! I opened her up and I saw that it started at the connection point of one of my video cards. So I took that video card out and decided "Oh well, I'll just use one video card then" and tried to run it that way but unfortunately my computer simply will not run... Now my question is could the issue be my power supply (cooler master 1000w silent pro) or could I have messed up my motherboard? The PCI express port on my motherboard is slightly chard but it doesn't seem to be damaged at all beyond the port itself. Could it still be functional? The reason why I think my power supply could possibly be an issue is because when I run power to my pc no lights come on what-so-ever except for one light that flashes every 5 seconds or so, which used to be on steadily. Thanks in advance for any suggestions or advice

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,025 posts
:welcome: Joly1990

The first thing that I suggest is establishing if the PSU is even functional at all, if you are ok with doing this yourself please see the attached links, the video is provided courtesy of Corsair but the basic test is the same for ATX PSUs;
http://www.dummies.c...wer-supply.html
http://www.smpspower...rs-pinouts.html

let us know how you get on or if you have any questions.

Joly1990

Joly1990

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I ended up bringing my pc to a shop to get the parts tested, the issue was my liquid cooling leaked all over my computer.... I had to buy a new mother board & video card

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,025 posts
Thanks for the update Joly1990 - sorry to hear that it is not better news though :(

Anyone reading this topic that is considering liquid cooling may now have second thoughts.

Brazened

Brazened

• PipPipPip
  • 184 posts
That is something to think about. Lots of builders uses good components for hot rodding and cool them with liquid cooling. Having leaks means good money down the drain.