Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Menu bar changes when viewing PDF's on line

• Please log in to reply

Elizabeth23

Elizabeth23

• PipPipPip
  • 443 posts
In IE8, with xp pro, sp3

when viewing pdf files online, my menu bar changes, I lose View and Tools, and in return get GoTo

Just noticed this and I view lots of pdfs on line. see attach.

Attached Thumbnails

• one.JPG
  • two.JPG

Advertisements

Naathim

Naathim

GeekU Minion

• Expert
  • 4,568 posts
Hello :)

As you read many PDF files online, please tell me does the bar always behaves like this?
I mean does it happen for the files from all sources?

Also please consider updating IE. I see you're running IE8. Having it updated is crucial for the security level.
If you want to (and need it), I will provide instructions how-to.

Naathim

Naathim

GeekU Minion

• Expert
  • 4,568 posts
Ummm, sorry. Just noticed that you're running windows XP. No update for IE is necessary.

But still please answer my question :) then we'll try to look for some causes.

Elizabeth23

Elizabeth23

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 443 posts
yes for all pdf's, I read manuals from all manufacturers when trying to help someone with their pc, I do not think I have read any other pdf's online. I have some pdf files on skydrive, but they open in acrobat's window and not the internet window.

does this not happen to you if you read a pdf online?

ftp://ftp.dell.com/Manuals/all-products/esuprt_desktop/esuprt_dimension_desktops/dimension-c521_owner's%20manual_en-us.pdf

here is a link where it changes, and it also changed when I was on a Belkin site reading about a wireless adaptor.

Edited by Elizabeth23, 09 July 2013 - 08:24 PM.

DonnaB

DonnaB

Miss Congeniality

• GeekU Moderator
  • 8,529 posts
Pardon my intrusion for a moment:

yes for all pdf's, I read manuals from all manufacturers when trying to help someone with their pc, I do not think I have read any other pdf's online.

What I bolded above might be a clue. Try this link to a pdf that is not a manual:

http://www.psycholog...ts/5230/136.pdf

What do you get when you click on Go To? The opportunity to choose chapters? Table of Contents, maybe?

Also, which pdf reader do you use. Not sure if that would make a difference, but had to ask. I use Foxit Reader on a W7, I can't replicate the issue. When I click on the link you provided I can't open the manual.

Elizabeth23

Elizabeth23

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 443 posts
yes it changed at your link and the go to is some kind of homepage thing see picture, I had foxit once, I will download again and see if the same issue occurs.

Attached Thumbnails

• new link.JPG

DonnaB

DonnaB

Miss Congeniality

• GeekU Moderator
  • 8,529 posts
Honestly, I've never seen that happen before. Which pdf reader are you using?

Elizabeth23

Elizabeth23

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 443 posts
okay installed foxit reader (free) from this link:

http://www.foxitsoft...ure_PDF_Reader/

the menu bar did not change, and I was able to open my link and yours to view the pdf files.

So it must be an Adobe change, thanks for your assistance in helping me figure this out. :)

Elizabeth23

Elizabeth23

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 443 posts
Do not know why you could not open my link, as I was able to open both links with either Adobe reader or Foxit reader.

DonnaB

DonnaB

Miss Congeniality

• GeekU Moderator
  • 8,529 posts
Elizabeth,

I did a little experiment of my own. I booted up my XP that I use for experimental purposes and installed Adobe Reader on it. I was able to duplicate the Go To option on the menu bar in IE8. That doesn't happen in Firefox, so it must be an IE+Adobe thing.

I don't have Adobe Reader on any of my other computers that run Vista or W7 because Adobe has become very vulnerable over the last couple of years and really uses up resources more than FoxIt Reader. Foxit Reader's "footprint" is considerably smaller than Adobe's and consequently uses less resources (RAM as well as hard drive space). It's been said that there are a few things Foxit cannot do compared to Adobe, but I haven't come across them yet, though I don't use pdf reader's as faithfully as you do. Only when I come across a pdf file while researching.

I don't know why I couldn't open the pdf in your link earlier, though I just tried again and it opened up just fine. Weird.

I did look at your thread the day you posted, though wasn't sure why you experienced the change on the menu bar. No one is ever intentionally overlooked here. I new someone would come along and help in due time. I am sorry you had to wait.

Naathim's response triggered an idea and I ran with it in his absence. :blush:

I'm just glad you got that sorted.

Advertisements

Naathim

Naathim

GeekU Minion

• Expert
  • 4,568 posts
Hello :)

Good to know that you've solved this mystery :thumbsup: As in Poland it was late night I just went asleep.

If you are curious about the details, spoiled you'll find instructions how to check what exactly it is.
Spoiler

Have a nice day, as in Poland we've got beautiful morning :wave:

Elizabeth23

Elizabeth23

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 443 posts
@ Donna B. I had originally installed Foxit say 1 or 2 years ago and it would crash a lot of the time, so I switched back to Adobe. I had wanted Foxit because I had read that it had a smaller footprint. It was different this time so maybe I will try it again.

@ Naathim, here is the text file from autoruns:

Attached Files

Elizabeth23

Elizabeth23

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 443 posts
@ Donna B, no problem waiting, I am generally a patient person, as the option was there for the waiting room forum I used it. :)

Naathim

Naathim

GeekU Minion

• Expert
  • 4,568 posts
I think I've found the answer: it's probably Adobe's ActiveX plugin .

As Donna stated earlier, Adobe isn't the safest one now (currently being highly exploited by hackers). Of course it's up to you, but I'm standing after Donna and recommend using something less vulnerable to infections (i. e. Foxit or Sumantra).

Safe surfing and see you somewhere here :thumbsup:

Elizabeth23

Elizabeth23

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 443 posts
thanks,I looked through the text to find Adobe Active X plugin but did not find it under Manage Addons, or listed in the text of autoruns, there was a shockwave active x, is this the one you meant?