Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

[W7] 0xC000009A on resuming from hibernation

• Please log in to reply

zedlord

zedlord

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hello everyone!

I am not used to ask for help on message boards but I'm running out of ideas.

I have Windows 7 Ultimate x64, 4GB RAM. I can hibernate but I can't always resume from hibernation. The more memory is allocated before hibernation the bigger chance of resume fail, I guess since I haven't checked it properly.
I found some information but it provides no help, at least in this case.
I tried chkdsk on the drive, defragmentation, powercfg -h on/off... I found Windows hotfix(KB977178) which I guess should solve the problem but it refuses to install. I have a newer msahci so maybe that is why...
I might have done something more but don't remember now. I have no idea what to do. I'd be grateful for some ideas that can solve this problem.

The error message:

Your computer can't come out of hibernation.
Info: A fatal error occurred processing the restoration data.
File: \hiberfil.sys

Edited by zedlord, 06 July 2013 - 04:32 AM.

Advertisements

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Gday zedlord. Posted Image

launch the Command Prompt as an Administrator. click on the Start menu, then select All Programs, > Accessories. You will now see a shortcut labelled Command Prompt. Right-click on it and select Run as administrator, in the windows that opens, click Yes.

In the window that opens type, powercfg -h off
Shut down the machine (not a restart) -> Reboot the machine
Open command prompt again and type, powercfg -h on
Test Hibernate through the Windows -> Shutdown -> Hibernate"
>Next: start command prompt (as above) and type chkdsk /r and schedule a scan for next reboot Note that this may take some time, so please do not shut down during the scan -

zedlord

zedlord

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Seems like I might have been wrong with this message board idea.
First, I do not appreciate this step by step thing but I get it...it's better to be clear.
Second, I was waiting for new ideas...I somehow thought that person trying to help will bother more than to give some generic advice. Especially since I stated that I have tried it already.
Lastly, if you didn't get that earlier I've tried your advice already including chkdsk /r. Should I bold stuff too to get some understanding?

Thanks for playing, I may be back...

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Thank you for your reply. A bit ungracious though.

I Don't know how competent a poster might be at first, so instructions were given simply, and some people still get is wrong.
I did note what you said you tried, and as a first step wanted confirmation that you had shut down between the powercfg -h off\on and the chkdsk /r done as a second step.
More suggestions would have been forthcoming. Happen another member will be willing to step in.

Good luck.

zedlord

zedlord

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Like I said, I understand the reasoning for simple instructions. No problem here.
I performed chkdsk /r with hibernation enabled, disabled and...well I did it 3 times, I don't remember configuration for the third one.
I did memtest, 4 passes too.
Asking here was some kind of desperate after trying to fix it myself.
I sorry that I overreacted. I decided not to fix the problem, I'll be trying a crazy workaround. If you have some good ideas, please share.

As for the workaround. It's untested, kind of stupid so I don't recommend trying but if somebody wants...then here.
I start a program that writes to ram(TestLimit) which makes other programs write their ram to swap then turn the program off and hibernate. From what I understand about my problem that should do it.
It's not a fix but if it works then so be it.

I'm sorry again. If the workaround works, I'll not be back.

Edited by zedlord, 07 July 2013 - 11:13 AM.