Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Laptop won't boot after Combofix

• Please log in to reply

novoo

novoo

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi, I had a trojan infection Malwarebytes detected and deleted but kept coming back so after a little searching I found a thread instructing to use Combofix, but didn't realize the instructions were user specific, ran Adwcleaner and Roguekiller then Combofix, while running Combofix it stalled after displaying "system file is infected" and "no replacement file was found, doing an extensive search" the same message was displayed for hours and "not responding" was at the top so I closed Combofix and rebooted, upon reboot the computer got stuck at the starting windows screen, tried booting into safe mode, windows repair, starting from the last restore point, setting first priority to CD and booting from the installation disk, nothing worked. The list of files loaded come up then gets stuck when booting into safe mode, and the CD wouldn't load at all, simply displays something along the lines of "the problem could be caused by removing a flash drive or a damaged CD rom"(the CD rom is fine) after a few minutes.

the OS is windows 7 home premium (64 bit)

Right now I can't even get to recovery options, loading files is displayed then turns into a black screen.

Please help

Advertisements

Phel

Phel

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 1,386 posts
Hello, novoo and welcome to GeeksToGo!

You can call me Phel and today I will try to help you with your trouble.

Please, read these instructions carefully, because they contain some very useful information.

Please, let me know, if you don't understand something. It is really important to understand any instruction. Also, please read all instructions carefully before performing them. Feel free to ask questions, if you aren't sure.

Please, be patient. You should stay here until your computer will become really clean. Malware Removal isn't very fast procedure, it usually has multiple steps, but result should be glad.;)

Please note, that my answers could come with a slight delay, because they are checked by my teacher.

Okay, first of all I need to ask you some questions.

I had a trojan infection Malwarebytes detected

Do you remember, what infection it was?

I found a thread instructing to use Combofix

Can you please remember, what thread it was? That would be very useful for us.

The list of files loaded come up then gets stuck when booting into safe mode

At which file does it get a stuck? Try to wait some time.

Please, follow these instructions. It's better to print them to know, what are you doing:

For this step you will need clean computer with access to the internet and flash drive.

Download the following three programmes to your desktop :

• Insert the USB stick Then run Rufus.

Posted Image
  • Select the ISO file on the desktop via the ISO icon.
  • Press Start Burn.

Posted Image
  • Then copy FRST to the same USB.

Posted Image
  • Insert the USB into the sick computer and start the computer. First ensuring that the system is set to boot from USB.

Note: If you are not sure how to do that follow the instructions Here
  • When you reboot you will see this although yours will say Windows 7. Click Repair my computer.

Posted Image
  • Select your operating system.

Posted Image
  • Select Command prompt.

Posted Image
  • At the command prompt type the following:

notepad

and press Enter.
  • The notepad opens. Under File menu select Open.
  • Select Computer and find your flash drive letter and close the notepad.
  • In the command window type e:\frst64.exe and press Enter

Note: Replace letter e with the drive letter of your flash drive.
  • The tool will start to run.
  • When the tool opens click Yes to disclaimer.

Posted Image
  • Press Scan button.
  • It will make a log (FRST.txt) on the flash drive. Please copy and paste it to your reply.

novoo

novoo

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Hello Phel
Thanks for the quick reply

I don't remember the specific type of trojan, I had ads popping up the bottom right corner, random music playing and performance was compromised, especially for online video, watching youtube videos caused stuttering and both the sounds+images were choppy.

The thread instructed to use Adwcleaner, Roguekiller then Combofix
the exact steps performed on my pc was scan and delete with adwcleaner, chose yes after Adwcleaner prompted to restart, prescan, scan and delete with Roguekiller, then Combofix.
With Combofix all 50 steps were finished, some files were deleted, got all the way up to "system file is infected" and "no replacement file was found, doing an extensive search", then Combofix stalled so I closed it and restarted.
Upon restart the pc was unable to boot.

No matter which option I set to boot first the USB wouldn't engage, and I tried booting from the recovery disc before but all I got was an error message saying the CD/DVD rom could'v been damaged (it's not).

On the most recent attempt startup repair was able to work, don't know how long it's supposed to take, its's been going for a little over an hour, will get back to you with an update and check which file booting from safe mode stopped at after it's done.