Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

nVidia GeForce4 MX-4000 128Mb TV DVI

• Please log in to reply

Schnell

Schnell

• Pip
  • 9 posts
It seems like my graphics card (See topic title) is not working anymore, it's been out of order for around 7 months, as the module has a DVI output I'm using a DVI to VGA adapter. I'm having some doubts on this adapter, is a bit lighter than the one I had before (7 months back, and I've lost it).

When the MX-4000 is installed, there's no video output on either of both output points; the MX and the built-in S3 Graphics.

But the funny thing is that when I connect the monitor cable to the MX (When installed) the monitor says the cable is disconnected, but when I swap to the built-in graphics card the monitor gets dark and the green light of it shines like on "stand by" state.

Well, that's all for now.
Thanks in advance

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
Hello Schnel

When the MX-4000 is installed, there's no video output on either of both output points; the MX and the built-in S3 Graphics.

You will not get any video output from the S3 graphics chip while there is an add on card fitted, this is because the integrated video chip is automatically disabled when an add on card is detected whether the add on card is working or not.

The MX-4000 card was released in 2004 and so has the potential to be 9 years old so it would be no surprise if it has failed but your PSU could also be at fault.

Can you confirm whether or not you get a display when the MX-4000 card is removed and the screen is connected to the S3 video chip on the MB.

Schnell

Schnell

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
You mean removing the MX-4000 while the computer is running? If not, the answer would be: I get video output when there's nothing fitted in the AGP port.

Notes: my MX-4000 has a note that says it have been produced on 2005 :whistling:

Edited by Schnell, 09 July 2013 - 02:12 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

You mean removing the MX-4000 while the computer is running? If not, the answer would be: I get video output when there's nothing fitted in the AGP port.
No I did not mean when the computer was running.
The fact that you get video when the AGP slot is empty suggests that the add on video card has expired or it is not capable of supporting the size of the screen that you have.

Notes: my MX-4000 has a note that says it have been produced on 2005 :whistling:
Yep and it says India rubber on the bus tyres but the bus doesn't go there and for the record I actually said that the MX-4000 was released in 2004 and so has the potential to be 9 years old, nowhere did I say that your own MX-4000 was released in 2004 :P