Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Second Monitor Detected But No Signal

• Please log in to reply

hellohello

hellohello

• Pip
  • 3 posts
System Specs:
Windows 7 64bit
Radeon 6850 HD
More available upon request

I have two monitors hooked up to my computer. A 24" Samsung monitor running at 1080p, and a ~40"ish Hyundai TV running at 1024x768. Lowering the resolution on the TV does not help.

A while ago, the picture on the TV began to 'shake' seemingly out of nowhere, and then it turned off and displayed a 'No Signal' sign. I thought the cable was loose, because that's how it seemed to have acted.

The cable was not loose and after a few seconds it came back up. This happened a few more times until one time it didn't come back on.

The monitor is connected directly through a DVI connection. The TV is connected with a VGA cable to a VGA-DVI adapter, which is connected to the computer. The setup was working fine for a long time before it stopped.

The TV itself works fine. Other inputs work without issues (cable TV, gamecube, etc). The cable is fine, too. Connecting the same TV + cable to another PC works just great.

The videocard I'm using has two DVI ports at the back. The lower one does not recognize any VGA connections (through an adapter), so the TV has to be plugged into the upper one. I know that the upper port is working at least somewhat, because I can connect my monitor to it and it works.

The computer DOES recognize that the TV is plugged in. I am able to extend my displays and move my mouse over to the TV. It's just that I cannot see what's going on there because the TV only displays "No Signal."

Any help would be appreciated. I've done all I can think of and nothing works.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,006 posts
:welcome: hellohello

Can you tell us how much Ram you have + the brand and model name or number of your PSU.

For displays larger than 32" or for connecting three or more displays you should have a minimum of 2GB of VRam, you may get a display for a certain length of time depending on the quality of the video card and other hardware however ultimately the card will be weakened and eventually fail, a poor quality or underpowered PSU will result in the same outcome or worse if the PSU pops.

Have you tried having two smaller screens connected and if so what was the outcome.

hellohello

hellohello

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
There are only two displays connected, including the TV. I have 4GB of RAM and I'm pretty sure the video card has 1GB of its own. The TV has its own power cable connected to an outlet, so I'm not exactly sure how my PSU would come into play here. So does the monitor, for that matter. That being said, it's a 500W Antec power supply.

Hooking up a smaller monitor (19") into the port where the TV was works just fine.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,006 posts

There are only two displays connected, including the TV

For displays larger than 32" or for connecting three or more displays you should have a minimum of 2GB of VRam
Meaning that a video card that has a minimum of 2GB of it`s own dedicated video memory (VRam) should be used.

The TV has its own power cable connected to an outlet, so I'm not exactly sure how my PSU would come into play here.

The PSU powers the video card among other things so an underpowered or failing PSU could cause display issues.

Hooking up a smaller monitor (19") into the port where the TV was works just fine.

Which suggests that the video card cannot produce a single strong enough to provide a display on a 24" and a 40"ish sized screen.

hellohello

hellohello

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I see. So you think upgrading the PSU would work?

I know that this set up DID work for like 2+ months before it finally broke on me. I think I'll try testing it with my other TV to test this theory of yours, which seems to make a lot of sense.

I both hope that you're wrong (so that I don't have to upgrade anything) and that youre right (so I finally know what the [bleep] the problem is).

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,006 posts

I see. So you think upgrading the PSU would work?

Sorry crossed wires here, you said earlier;

I'm not exactly sure how my PSU would come into play here

So I offered an explanation as to how a PSU can affect the performance of a video card, underpowered hardware components can and do function for a period of time and then they fall over.

Let us know how your testing goes and we can then check the PSU performance, Antec are a good brand but nothing lasts forever.

hellohelloAgain

hellohelloAgain

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Sorry for the late reply! I got a bit busy and it took me a while to get around to it.

I hope the delay doesn't cause any problems. I... I also forgot my previous password, so you may notice I'm on a new account. I hope this is okay too...

That being said! I hooked it up to another TV. This one is a 40" Sony Bravia KDL-40S4100 TV. It's resolution is set to 1600x1200, which is far greater than the previous TVs (I think it was liek ~1300x~760? I'm not sure exactly). It's working fine for now, though. I see no problems. So what does this say about everything?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,006 posts
Thank you for the follow up hellohelloAgain :thumbsup:

If the issue happens again please return to this thread (we know who you are :D ) and we will take a look :thumbsup:

hellohelloAgain

hellohelloAgain

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Cool! But I feel there may be a slight misunderstanding here. The original problem isn't fixed, as the original TV still doesn't work in this set up.

At the same time I feel we've done enough testing to prove that each individual component is working. I have no idea what's going on here!

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,006 posts
All I can suggest is see if things continue to be ok when using the Sony for around a week, if it does then the other TV may need a service check on the input ports.