Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Toshiba Satellite l450d - 11w issues

• Please log in to reply

MidnightOwl

MidnightOwl

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Hello,

Basically my laptop (toshiba satellite l450d - 11w) has been giving me a lot of trouble in the past few months. It first started to go downhill when random keys on the keyboard began to not work (which I can just replace) then out of no where, and I mean no where, the laptop just would not turn on after I shut it down for the night. I had made no hardware changes, nothing. Yet when I plugged in the charger it said that the laptop was receiving power. Not the battery but the laptop itself, so I left it to try figure out what it was causing this, and removed the ram to put into a different laptop, taking that other laptops memory and putting it in mine. I had removed 4 gb's of ram from the toshiba and replaced it with the 3gb's of ram from the other laptop. After doing this, it would turn on when I pressed the button but now the screen stays black and it still doesn't seem to acknowledge the battery is in. If anyone could help me out here that would be great because even as a technician myself I am stumped! Thanks in advance. :)

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,746 posts
:welcome: MidnightOwl

Sorry for the delay in you receiving a reply :(

A few questions if I may;
How old is the notebook.
Do you use the notebook for prolonged periods with both the battery and mains power connected.
Was the replacement Ram that you tried the exact same specification Ram that your notebook uses DDR2 PC2-6400, DDR2 (non-ECC)
Did you try inserting only 1 stick of the replacement Ram.
Have you tried resetting the notebook battery http://www.brighthub...cles/50844.aspx
Have you tried connecting the notebook to an external screen.

MidnightOwl

MidnightOwl

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
No problem at all thank you for getting back to me. :)

The notebook is about 4-5 years old (I am pretty sure), Yeah I was using it at times with battery and mains in but only because my brother had the notebook at some stage and messed up the pins the battery slots into, one is all bent and stuff, so the battery lasted maybe 20 minutes at a time. I did try it with only one stick of ram yes and as far as I know they matched, the laptop wouldn't even turn on with the other ram in it, now it turns on, I can hear the hard drive spinning and all but the screen just stays black. And I also tried using an external monitor and resetting the battery. No joy :( It really is a headache :(. Might I add the ram worked fine in the other laptop. Hope this helps ye help me ^^

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,746 posts
When you tried the external screen did you press the Fn and one of the F1 to F12 keys (often F5 for Toshiba) to toggle between screens.

Does the notebook normally emit a single beep when it boots up successfully, if it does try removing all Ram and powering up to see if you get any error beeps.

Do the bent pins look bent enough to possibly be causing a short when the battery is in.

MidnightOwl

MidnightOwl

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I did and nothing, it doesnt make a beep when in powers up the only noise is the fan starting and the hardrive booting. I would say that the bent battery pin could possibly be damaged enough to make it short but it has been that way for years, I mean its a little like this < but a bit more straight. =P

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,746 posts
Thanks for the update MidnightOwl :thumbsup:

Have you put the original Ram back in the notebook?

Incompatible or bad Ram can prevent you from getting a display so it is important that we know that the correct Ram has been returned to the notebook.

If the fan stays on and the HDD remains active but you are getting no display on an external screen either suspect items include a failed video chip, fried CPU, the MB or in a worse case scenario more than one of the said items.

MidnightOwl

MidnightOwl

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Ok, No I have not put back in the original ram but am going to buy some new ram for it and if that doesn't fix it I may just replace the motherboard. Thanks for all your help it is much appreciated. :)