Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How do I change where downloads are saved?

• Please log in to reply

bruceb3

bruceb3

• PipPip
  • 54 posts
I'm running Windows 7 Pro. I totally forgot where to change where downloads are saved. It used to be that when I would click "save" it would ask me "where". Now, it just saves them to "downloads" on "C" drive. Since I have an ssd, I would like them to be saved elsewhere. Thanks in advance.

Advertisements

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts
In IE click on the TOOLS Option (ALT + X)and choose SHOW DOWNLOADS (Ctrl+J) in the box that will appear click on OPTIONs and in that menu you can change the download Location.

Hope that helps

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,975 posts
Hi,

It depends of the browser you use... for Internet Explorer 9 and 10, for Google Chrome and for Firefox

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Gday bruceb3.

Method to move/select the Download Folder for 3 Browsers.
> http://www.wikihow.c...wnload-is-Saved

Hope this is what you need.

Edit.

Beaten again.

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,975 posts

Edit.

Beaten again.

:) But your link its very good because it covers the most used Windows Browsers.

Edited by SleepyDude, 11 July 2013 - 03:02 AM.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Thanks SleepyDude.

I sometimes think my ISP holds stuff back until they have a decent sized package to download, Posted Image I hope you gave me the tick Posted Image

Are you now able to download to your preferred location?

bruceb3

bruceb3

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts
Thanks everybody! You guys are great. That explains it. I hadn't changed anything except IE updated itself.

bruceb3

bruceb3

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts
Oh crap, I forgot to ask how can I get it to ask where to save the download? Sometimes I want to save them to different places. Sorry to be a pain.

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts
When clicking on a download you usually have a box on the bottom prompting you to either RUN / SAVE or CANCEL beside SAVE you have an arrow click on the arrow and choose SAVE AS and then it will ask you where you want to save it.

Hope that helps

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I'm not sure but you might check the IE options again and see if it has the ask where to save option. If so it will ask everything you download something where to save it.