Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Every computer I've had since 2009 I've done this to. Why? [Ch

• Please log in to reply

Incoming

Incoming

• PipPipPip
  • 400 posts
Since freshmen year of high school up until the point I've graduated (this is one of the reasons I'm getting a mac, actually), I've managed to break the charging port on my laptop. In my defense the first was a state of the art acer (not, it sucked), but from then on I've had versatile Asus notebooks as that line is called I believe. I've had... this is my third. I'm using my dad's now because I gave one to my mom and my dad broke his keyboard, but I put up with it. Just as a backstory though.

The real problem is the port is becoming detached.. I believe. It can't possibly be the charger. One of the chargers actually did break (the green light no longer came on), but after a couple days/weeks I managed to break another so that the charger lit up but the computer no longer charged. I don't understand why this is happening. I don't even rough the computer up. I used to drop it and stuff but I've only dropped it once accidentally and none other on purpose.

Is this a common problem or am I doing something wrong? Can it be fixed for a cheap price?

PS: I figure someone is going to ask if I can hear something shaking around, I can't.

Advertisements

23red

23red

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 1,797 posts
Hi Incoming :)
I think you can fix it. :happy:
I had the same thing happen. I loaned my computer out, someone tripped over the cord and broke the female side of the charging mechanism inside the laptop. No charge light unless it was pushed in hard or tweaked just so. With nothing to lose, as I thought it was gonna die anyway, I took apart the laptop and the whole casing is plastic. :rolleyes: Snapped. :upset:
The charger sits in a plastic holding case inside that laptop, and the holding case was snapped on one side. Can't use superglue (heat) I could have soldered a whole new jack piece but I've never soldered before and the laptop was just a year old! I'd thought I'd fry it trying to solder! One drip in the wrong place and it's all over. :blink:
Long story short (er) I used pencil erasers. Shaved just the right thickness with a razor, wedged it this way and that until it was solid. Still holds to today :D There's lots of info here . Maybe it'll help?
It's not an uncommon issue, apparently.
They have the new jack parts at Radio Shack, lol. Regular stock. If you want to weld in your own, new. Then it's super solid. It's a small space to work in tho, a 1 inch space inside the corner of the laptop. One side was bust on mine, so the eraser parts worked well for me. It's not a difficult fix. Maybe while your in there you can fix the keyboard too. Might just be easier than you think!
Good luck!

Incoming

Incoming

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 400 posts

Hi Incoming :)
I think you can fix it. :happy:
I had the same thing happen. I loaned my computer out, someone tripped over the cord and broke the female side of the charging mechanism inside the laptop. No charge light unless it was pushed in hard or tweaked just so. With nothing to lose, as I thought it was gonna die anyway, I took apart the laptop and the whole casing is plastic. :rolleyes: Snapped. :upset:
The charger sits in a plastic holding case inside that laptop, and the holding case was snapped on one side. Can't use superglue (heat) I could have soldered a whole new jack piece but I've never soldered before and the laptop was just a year old! I'd thought I'd fry it trying to solder! One drip in the wrong place and it's all over. :blink:
Long story short (er) I used pencil erasers. Shaved just the right thickness with a razor, wedged it this way and that until it was solid. Still holds to today :D There's lots of info here . Maybe it'll help?
It's not an uncommon issue, apparently.
They have the new jack parts at Radio Shack, lol. Regular stock. If you want to weld in your own, new. Then it's super solid. It's a small space to work in tho, a 1 inch space inside the corner of the laptop. One side was bust on mine, so the eraser parts worked well for me. It's not a difficult fix. Maybe while your in there you can fix the keyboard too. Might just be easier than you think!
Good luck!

Hi 23red,

Thanks for the quick reply. I appreciate your advice on how to fix it on my own but I think I'd rather leave it in the hands of someone who knows what they're doing in case they mess up, then I get some kind of compensation for a partially broken laptop :P.

I'll look into this more/check out some other replies assuming there are any before taking action.

Thanks