Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

CAT6 network cable needs earthing?

• Please log in to reply

peterbelmans

peterbelmans

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hey, I used a CAT6 network cable (shielded per twisted pair & shield around all twisted pairs) in my home, with all correct CAT6 wall plugs.
And I don't know if I need to connect my earth (from a power socket earth pin) to this cable shield at both ends?

I emailed the manufacturer of the cable, and he tells me:
Earth it to both ends of the cable at the connectors which are floating, so are not connected to building earth.
The latter because I have no idea how your building earth quality is.

I can't make sense of this reply of him?
Is it bad to connect a earth from a power socket to the shield? Can I damage my network equipment when I make an earth fault in my home?

Thanks in advance for your advice.

(ps: It's this cable: BRAND-REX LTD C6U/FTP-HF1 4x2xAWG23 ISO 11801:2002 CLASS E IEC 60332-1 NVP 0.74 5002 278407 36?329 >> purple color)

Advertisements

Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
Consider this Peter, especially the second section named Grounding Necessities for Shielded Cat 6 cables

http://www.l-com.com...service?ID=4803

peterbelmans

peterbelmans

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thanks for the answer, I'm gonna tie an earth from a power socket to my cat6 cables on the "router end" and then I thinks it's okay.

Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
You're welcome Peter. :)