Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Websites Very Slow or Won't Load At All ~ OTL Posted

• Please log in to reply

Quartz

Quartz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
I have tried to use FileHippo UpdateChecker several times, but it would never work. This time I installed it as you suggested…not to run at start, and it worked. The update it suggested is Adobe Reader XI – but I ran into the problem below. I can’t find the .msi file it suggests.

This is what was in the pop-up box:
Adobe Reader XI (11.0.03)
The feature you are trying to use is on a network resource that is unavailable.
Click OK to try again, or enter an alternate path to a folder containing the installation package ‘AcroRead.msi’ in the box below.
This is what is shown in the box below:
C:\ProgramData\Adobe\Setup\{AC76BA86-7AD7-1033-7B44-AB0000000001}\

I don’t have a router…just the modem from Dish. I have never used Firefox. I use Chrome 99% of the time. I rec’d warnings about Java and disabled it, but I sell on eBay for a living and when I logged onto eBay, a red warning came up that I had to have Java Script to use Ebay.
As far as Java, what shows in Add/Remove Programs is:
Java 7 Update 11 (64-bit)
Java 7 Update 25

This is what comes up on Java Tester:

Java Version 1.7.0_25 from Oracle Corporation

Then a Pop-up box has this: (which I have never known what any of it means)
Java Plug-in 10.25.2.16
Using JRE version 1.7.0_25-b16 Java HotSpot™ Client VM
User home directory = C:\Users\Buddy
----------------------------------------------------
c: clear console window
f: finalize objects on finalization queue
g: garbage collect
h: display this help message
l: dump classloader list
m: print memory usage
o: trigger logging
q: hide console
r: reload policy configuration
s: dump system and deployment properties
t: dump thread list
v: dump thread stack
x: clear classloader cache
0-5: set trace level to <n>

How do I install Java in Chrome with Script-No add-ons? In my Chrome settings under Privacy, Content Settings, there are 2 choices:
*Allow all sites to run JavaScript (recommended) This is what I have checked.
*Do not allow any site to run JavaScript

I was going to ask about paying you, so I will make a donation to Kwiaht.

A couple more “non-important” questions:

1 – As you can see, the person that built this computer is Buddy. I have tried every way I can to replace his name with mine, but was told it is impossible.
2 – Why does this computer have 4 CPU’s – for gaming? The box is fancy…Cooler Master with one clear side & a 24" monitor. I just bought it b/c the guy needed money. He sold me this computer & a year-old laptop for $400. I don’t like (or have any use for) laptops, so I sold it on Ebay. I like this computer, but when I got it, there was a lot of programs on it that I would never use (regarding gaming, I guess) - so I uninstalled all of them except Live 5 b/c I thought it may be important. Also, I have no idea what NovaBench is, but left it since it was installed when the computer was built.

Thanks again, Cindy

Advertisements

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP
With FileHippo, you click on the download arrow and let it download and Save the file. Then right click and open folder then right click on the file you just downloaded and Run As Admin. (Do not try to run the file directly)

To get the latest Java 7 Update 11 (64-bit) you would need to start with your 64 bit version of IE then go to Java.com and then when you download it will get the 64 bit version. I'm not sure what the latest version is for 64-bit. You probably don't need it so can just uninstall it.

Java and Java Script are two different programs. Java is the main offender so if that's all Script No offers then forget it. I use Firefox and No Script will let you customize each site. Just go into Control Panel, Java and under Security slide it to the highest level and Apply it. I think it will then ask you if it is OK to run Java.

You can go into Control Panel, User Accounts and Change your Account name. This will change the name you see tho the underlying file structure will still say Buddy. You would have to create a new account with admin rights and then migrate your files to the new user and then delete the Buddy account to complete get rid of Buddy.

4 CPUs is just a faster PC. They divide up the work. Doubt that it really has 4 separate CPU's. I think it's more likely 4 in one package but I'm not a hardware guy so can't say for sure.

NovaBench is a test program. It tells you how fast your PC is running and also monitors the temp. If you don't use it you can uninstall it.
http://novabench.com/

Quartz

Quartz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
Most of the files with Buddy on them show a lock on the file. I don't know how to unlock those. My user account is listed as the ADM. account. As far as 4 CPU's...there's 4 "things" in my computer that have a fan attached to them. Other computer I've owned just had one. Maybe CPU isn't the correct term.

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP
You can usually take ownership of a locked file:

http://technet.micro...y/cc753659.aspx

Sounds like you really do have 4 separate CPUs. A lot of them have two in a package but sounds like you just have single packages.