Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Autoruns: Unchecking/deleting doesn't work

• Please log in to reply

Plutox

Plutox

• PipPipPip
  • 349 posts
Doing this on all items I've tried gets the messages '...Access denied' and 'Error...'

The few posts on this app I've seen never mention this outcome - any advice please.

Advertisements

skifxr

skifxr

• PipPipPip
  • 222 posts
And you are on an administrator account when doing it?

Plutox

Plutox

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 349 posts
Thanks for responding - administrator? yes I think so as I've never encountered any problem in that regard in using that computer for 4 years so I've never really checked. As far as I know I have never been a 'guest'. I'll check that next time I turn it on.

On my other PC this glitch does not occur (just tried it) - have unchecked and deleted 'Messenger'.

skifxr

skifxr

• PipPipPip
  • 222 posts
Just a hunch before I start Googling. Are you on XP Home or Pro/Media Center? Maybe Autoruns needs the main adminstrator account on Home. You need to boot into safe mode to access that account.

Plutox

Plutox

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 349 posts
Mmm. The glitch was on my XP Home netbook but was OK on this my XP Pro PC - I#ll keep your point in mind when I return to the netbook.

By the way what is 'Autorunsc.exe'? Running that I get a fast moving cmd prompt/DOS black type window which just whizzes down the screen and disappears!

skifxr

skifxr

• PipPipPip
  • 222 posts
Autorunsc.exe is the command line version of Autoruns.

Plutox

Plutox

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 349 posts
Thanks for that - is it useful if it disappears so fast?

skifxr

skifxr

• PipPipPip
  • 222 posts
It disappears so fast because it's a cmd app. You need to call it from Command Prompt.

Naathim

Naathim

GeekU Minion

• Expert
  • 4,568 posts
As far as I understood you want to get rid of some things that are present in the registry?

Or there's something more in your ask?

Plutox

Plutox

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 349 posts
I just want to have autoruns working on my netbook in case I wish or need to delete something.

I'm sure I'm an administrator on this netbook. As I have never really needed autoruns in years of computer use this glitch is not in any priority. I'll re-look at it when I have odd moments.

Thanks to all responders - if anything else occurs to any of you please let me know.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
You can get most of the autoruns using the msconfig\startup method below.

Lets see what you have in your startup
Please click on

Start and then on Run
Type in msconfig and then press Enter
Now click on Startup
Next click on your Print Screen on your keyboard. It is normally the key above your number pad between the F12 key and the Scroll Lock key. Make sure you get everything even if you have to take more then one picture of the list.
Now go to Start
All Programs
Accessories
Paint

In the empty white area click and hold the CTRL key and then click the V
Go to the File option at the top and click on Save As
Save as file type JPEG and save it to your desktop
In your next reply attach the screenshot.

Plutox

Plutox

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 349 posts
Oh, sorry I have saved as .bmp - can you use that? If not I'll try again (by just deleting .bmp and replace by .jpeg?)- I'm a bit of a novice at this .

By the way I'm using my netbook which had the autoruns not allowing me access etc. but today without changing anything all seems to work OK.I deleted all the 'files not found' entries if that makes any difference to the running of this computer.

Attached Files

Plutox

Plutox

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 349 posts
Repeated using .jpeg

Attached Thumbnails

• Startup#3.JPG
  • Startup#4.JPG

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK good so now lets try this.

Download Autoruns from the link in my signature below:

1: Extract the Autoruns Zip file contents to a folder.
2: Double-click the "Autoruns.exe".
3: Click on the "Everything" tab
4: Click the Options at the top of the Window. In the new little window click the box that states Hide Microsoft Services
5: Go to File then to Export As or Save in some versions.
6: Save the file as AutoRuns.txt file instead of the default .arn to a known location like your Desktop.
7: Attach to your next reply.
8: DO NOT do anything till we have had a chance to study the log and reply with suggestions as to what to remove.

Plutox

Plutox

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 349 posts
Your autoruns link takes me to the very website from which I downloaded and used the program. So it would just duplicate what I have shown you (except for the 'file not found' deleted items.

Please advise.