Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Brought PC home from train, heatsink fell completely off, now problems

• Please log in to reply

Rgx

Rgx

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Firstly I'd like to say Hello and thank you for reading this in advance. When I arrived from the train I unpacked the desktop and noticed my heatsink was on the bottom of the tower unattached. I reattached it (fan working properly and seems ok), but in the process I noticed out of the 4 pins to hook to the board, 2 of them broke. My computer runs fine now, just whenever I open up any game / music program my pc goes crazy and lags and definitely doesn't run like it should. Is this due to the heatsink being without the 2 latches and not holding in properly, or maybe something else causing the computer to lag like crazy? It's driving my nuts how I can barely use my pc like I used to! Thanks.

Heatsink - Posted Image

-Windows 7 (64 bit)
-BIOSTAR TP67XE (B3) LGA 1155 Intel P67 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
-Intel Core i5-2300 Sandy Bridge 2.8GHz (3.1GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor
-PNY VCGGTX550TXPB-OC GeForce GTX 550 Ti (Fermi) 1GB 192-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video
-Antec BP550 Plus 550W Continuous Power ATX12V V2.2 80 PLUS Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply
-8g RAM

Also here is an image of my diagnostics when using any game / music program

Posted Image

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Yes your temps are way to high and I suggest replacing the fan. What you are calling the heatsink is actually the fan. With two broken connectors the fan is not seating correctly.
Can you get a picture of the cpu for me so I can make sure if it is the fan or the heatsink also.

Rgx

Rgx

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Yes your temps are way to high and I suggest replacing the fan. What you are calling the heatsink is actually the fan. With two broken connectors the fan is not seating correctly.
Can you get a picture of the cpu for me so I can make sure if it is the fan or the heatsink also.

Posted Image
Here's an image with arrows pointing to the two pins that are broken and not secured it. It's this right here http://www.amazon.co..._pr_product_top . My next question is, if I order this as a replacement, will I have to buy the thermal paste separately or if this one comes with the adhesive already on it?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I believe from what I can find you will need to get the thermal paste.

Brazened

Brazened

• PipPipPip
  • 184 posts
I think the thermal paste got contaminated and caused poor contact. Clean the paste off the heatsink and CPU and apply fresh layer. Better yet, replace the heatsink/fan assembly.

I just noticed that the two you pointed out are not in locked position. The arrows points toward unlocking so do the opposite.

Edited by Brazened, 13 July 2013 - 06:08 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
We appreciate your suggestion Brazened but please reread the topic and you will see the two points that are marked are actually broken. Replacement is the only option along with making sure thermal paste is reapplied. :thumbsup:

Brazened

Brazened

• PipPipPip
  • 184 posts
Sorry, I can't see what's broken. I only saw two unlocked pins. :confused:

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Post #1 RGX said:

I reattached it (fan working properly and seems ok), but in the process I noticed out of the 4 pins to hook to the board, 2 of them broke.

Not a problem as we all miss something once in awhile. Glad to have you looking at the topic. With another set of eyes we should be able to get this right quickly. ;)

Rgx

Rgx

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Turns out the heatsink was the sole problem. I bought one for $15 from a local shop, attached the thermal paste, and everything works as should again! Thanks for the support guys!

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
That is great news and I am so glad you got it resolved for very little money. Now I am proud to say Congratulations. :rockon: for a successful resolution for your issue.

I'm glad we could help and please let us know how everything works out for you.
If there is anything else we can do to help please feel free to ask. I appreciate that you allowed us to assist you with your issue and for your patience.
Thank you for choosing GeeksToGo for help. :thumbsup: :ph34r:
This issue now appears to be resolved.

If other members are reading this and have a similar problem please begin a New Topic and someone will assist you as soon as possible

Brazened

Brazened

• PipPipPip
  • 184 posts
Ah, good news. :thumbsup: