Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

computer wont boot!

• Please log in to reply

johnsonkidz

johnsonkidz

• Pip
  • 1 posts
i have purchased a new motherboard as well as CPU and RAM and have installed it into my tower
and all it does ( with everyhing disconnected but the CPU/HEATSINK ) and all it does is spin the fan of the cpu and the power supply unit for a few moments and shuts off,
not sure what the problem is and the PSU is 650watts from my old computer and should be plenty of power.
Have played around with the ram does not work , played around with the CMOS , tried putting everything together and same results, everything seems to be plugged in.

motherboard- gigabyte Z77X-D3H
CPU- intel i5 3470
gigabyte gtx 550 ti 2gb
2x4GB DDR viper ram ( patriot memory) ddr3 1600
Master 650Watt
samsung ssd

Edited by johnsonkidz, 14 July 2013 - 06:49 AM.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,766 posts
:welcome: johnsonkidz

Are the 24 pin, 4 pin and CPU cooling fan connections all securely in place.

Did you try the components outside of the case first to ensure that they were all working correctly - this often referred to as a barebones set-up or breadboarding, please see my canned text below;

Best couple of suggestions I can make would be first remove the MB and do a barebones set-up on a piece of cardboard (make sure it is larger than the MB) only connect the PSU, the GFX card, screen, 1 stick of Ram and the keyboard.
IF your MB doesn`t have a power test switch you will then need to short out the 2 power on pins on the MB header to get the PSU to activate, you can use a small flat bladed screwdriver or a paper clip bent into a U shape, this is perfectly safe if you do not touch anything else, the idea is to see if we can get a BIOS screen if you do you can then add one component at a time until you find the problem component, you must power down and remove the power cord from the wall before adding another component, second suggestion try a known working PSU, third suggestion try removing the add on video card and using the integrated video port.

Other things worth checking include, if you used stand offs beneath the MB are they in the correct locations (only where there is a screw hole in the MB) otherwise the MB will short out, check for stray screws or bared wires for the same reason, make sure the jumper cap that can be used for clearing the CMOS is not missing or on the wrong pins and finally try removing the CMOS battery for a few moments and then replace it, this will clear any possible bad MB settings.

Let us know how you get on or if you have any questions.

jimbimbo

jimbimbo

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
My brother used to have that issue he dealed fixing it for 2months then finally he just decided to replace his motherboard and hard disk if im not mistaken. quite huge of price which is pretty shameful... have anybody checked your pc? better ask somebodys help for it... what was your previous motherboard before you have Gigabyte?