Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can't Download Anything After Last Windows Update

• Please log in to reply

YVT75

YVT75

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi,

Any help would be much appreciated! After I downloaded the latest bundle of updates for Windows 7, my computer won't download anything or open internet explorer. It shows that I'm connected to the internet via my wireless router, but I can't actually connect. I am able to use Firefox but I think that's because I disabled any updating for it. Everything was working fine on my computer before the latest update. I might restore the system before the update, but this isn't a permanent fix because I would think I do need to make the updates eventually. Please let me know if you need more info or if you have any suggestions.

Thanks in advance!
Yvette

Advertisements

DonnaB

DonnaB

Miss Congeniality

• GeekU Moderator
  • 8,529 posts
Hi Yvette,

Welcome to Geeks to Go! :)

It's rather odd that you can use Firefox and not IE to connect to your router. Do you know for sure that you are not infected? Firefox does not update through Windows Updates and you should not disable any updates, even on Firefox.

You could go ahead and restore the system back to before the updates and see if that helps. If it does, please do the following:

Go to Start and type Windows Update into your Start Search. Click on Windows Update found in the list. In the left pane click on Change Settings. Under Important updates click on the drop down arrow to the far right and choose Download updates but let me choose which ones to install.

That way, when they are presented again, they will download and you can choose to install one at a time and when you get to the one that may have caused this, you can then uninstall that particular update and continue on to the next update.

If that doesn't resolve the issue then you know that the updates is not what caused it.

Keep me informed to what happens.

Donna :)

Edited by DonnaB, 14 July 2013 - 09:44 PM.

YVT75

YVT75

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi Donna,

Thank you for getting back to me! I'm going to try your suggestion and see what happens. It might take me a little while since I only have time for a few hours at night. I might be infected...I'm not sure of anything. LOL. But I will let you know how it goes.

Thanks!
Yvette

DonnaB

DonnaB

Miss Congeniality

• GeekU Moderator
  • 8,529 posts
You're welcome Yvette.

If you're not sure about being infected, you may want to rule that out first. The problems you're having with IE and not being able to download programs may just be a coincidence to the installation of Windows Updates.

You can follow the instructions here and start a new thread here. Post the logs requested in the 1st link and give a thorough description to your problems.

They are a tad busy in the removal forum, so your patience will be necessary.

:)