Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Win 7 Activation Catch-22

• Please log in to reply

Tom Plachecki

Tom Plachecki

• PipPip
  • 29 posts
I think this is a story of Win 7 Starter gone horribly wrong. Perhaps someone on GtG can help me with a happy ending.

I need a non-work computer to use while on extended business travel and my daughter said I could use here netbook, which runs Win 7 Starter. However, she said it was running very slow (even slower than normal for a netbook). I started by uninstalling a bunch of programs that aren't needed. I just need a word processor and an internet browser.

During this process, I noticed that it wasn't doing any Windows Updates for the last year and I spent many hours trying to fix that problem and even trying to manually load Win 7 SP1 update. No luck. So, I extracted the Win 7 Starter product key, borrowed a USB DVD Drive and installed a fresh copy of Win 7 Starter SP1. All good, except that it will NOT activate using the product key I extracted. I get an 0xC004E003 error.

As if that wasn't bad enough, I tried purchasing a Win 7 Anytime Upgrade key for Home Premium and it validates, but it won't update because, and you guessed it, the current Win 7 Starter is not activated.

Windows Premium Services will fix this for $99. That plus the anytime update and I could buy a new Chromebook...

BTW, I'm now on the business travel and I don't have access to the USB DVD drive.

Can you guys help?

Advertisements