Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Lexmark X4250 Print Communication problem

• Please log in to reply

lamaroe

lamaroe

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
Hello,

Hope everyone's having a great summer ! I, however, am having seemingly endless computer problems.

I got a new printer (Lexmark All-in-one X4250) a while ago and have been having problems that i thought stemmed from the spyware on my computer, but thanks to Geekstogo staff member usetobe, that problem is taken care of. Every time I try to print an error message comes up that states "The printer cannot communicate with the computer" and that there is a chronic "communication problem" message under status for the printer. I think i've pinned down the communication problem and it has something to do with the USB Human Interface Device on my computer. There is a green question mark right next to one of the usb hid tabs under the device manager, meaning there is a problem and that it's not working correctly, however i think it's a smaller problem than a yellow exclamation point may be. But it appears that Lexmark has installed it's own USB HID because there is a separate tab in the device manager with the title USB HID Lexmark 4200 series. I called lexmark's technical support and predictibly they told me to reinstall... which i have done a total of 11 times now, to no avail. this is not an installation problem, i am sure, because that doesn't solve ANYTHING. I use Windows Me and when I tried to update the driver for the Usb HID with the problem, it said the best driver was installed... does this just mean that my computer is too old to use this printer?

Is there any hope for fixing this problem? Or do I need some mega upgrade and am therefore better off just buying a new computer?

Thanks in advance!

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Have you looked at these

http://support.lexma...845&relevance=0

lamaroe

lamaroe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Thank you so much for your response. Although I had not tried that before, when i downloaded and tried to install the patch it said "The current operating system supports the intel chipset on your system. no inf update is needed'. So, it doesn't seem as thought that's helping the problem.

What exactly is the USB HID? Is it something to do with the usb connection, device, or even chip?

Thanks again

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
The Lexmark knowledge base has a number of items on communication errors.

This looks at Human Interface Devices

http://www.usb.org/developers/hidpage

lamaroe

lamaroe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Hi,

thanks for your reply, but that link and the searches on microsoft's website seem to be of no help. interestingly enough, when i viewed devices by connection under the device manager, the green question mark was in reference to the optical mouse i've had for over a year now... i found that out the hard way by disabling the device and then having the mouse stop working. so there isn't even a green question mark error for the printer, it shows that all the devices are in working order, and over an hour of searching on both the lexmark link and that of microsoft seem to be futile. :-(

any further suggestions would still be appreciated though. i've reached my wit's end with this one.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Do you have a process called LexBce server running, if this isn't running you can get a communication error

Edited by Keith, 08 June 2005 - 05:44 PM.

lamaroe

lamaroe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Process list saved on 7:59:46 PM, on 6/8/2005
Platform: Windows ME (Win9x 4.90.3000)

[pid] [full path to filename] [file version] [company name]
-15762059 C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\KERNEL32.DLL 4.90.0.3000 Microsoft Corporation
-18907 C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSGSRV32.EXE 4.90.0.3000 Microsoft Corporation
-29123 C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SPOOL32.EXE 4.90.0.3000 Microsoft Corporation
-115619 C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MPREXE.EXE 4.90.0.3000 Microsoft Corporation
-188999 C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\LEXBCES.EXE 9.41.0.0 Lexmark International, Inc.
-113895 C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\RPCSS.EXE 4.71.3328.0 Microsoft Corporation
-93103 C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\LEXPPS.EXE 9.41.0.0 Lexmark International, Inc.
-140551 C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\mmtask.tsk 4.90.0.3000 Microsoft Corporation
-122287 C:\WINDOWS\EXPLORER.EXE 5.50.4134.100 Microsoft Corporation
-216523 C:\PROGRAM FILES\AMERICA ONLINE 9.0A\WAOL.EXE 9.0.0.2 America Online, Inc.
-289579 C:\PROGRAM FILES\COMMON FILES\AOL\ACS\AOLACSD.EXE 2.0.20.1 America Online, Inc.
-344499 C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\RNAAPP.EXE 4.90.0.3000 Microsoft Corporation
-390851 C:\PROGRAM FILES\AMERICA ONLINE 9.0A\SHELLMON.EXE 9.0.0.1 America Online, Inc.
-84487 C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\TAPISRV.EXE 4.90.0.3000 Microsoft Corporation
-341219 C:\PROGRAM FILES\COMMON FILES\AOL\AOLTPSPD.EXE 1.1.1.0 America Online Inc
-494107 C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\DDHELP.EXE 4.9.0.900 Microsoft Corporation
-561763 C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\WBEM\WINMGMT.EXE 1.50.1164.0 Microsoft Corporation
-718343 C:\WINDOWS\PCHEALTH\HELPCTR\BINARIES\HELPCTR.EXE 4.90.0.2525 Microsoft Corporation
-575727 C:\PROGRAM FILES\INTERNET EXPLORER\IEXPLORE.EXE 6.0.2600.0 Microsoft Corporation
-811415 C:\PROGRAM FILES\HIJACKTHIS.EXE 1.99.0.1 Soeperman Enterprises Ltd.

this is the process list running on my computer as of a couple minutes ago, and yes lexbces is running. i called lexmark and they said that windows ME is compatible with this printer. is it of any importance that the error message says that the printer cannot communicate with the computer rather than the other way around?

thanks again

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Howdy:

Just a suggestion but have you gone into the printers properties and check ed the post being used??

Murray

deary65

deary65

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Try a self-powered usb hub,IT sounds like a power problem. I had similar with optica lmouse, solved my problem;quit by accident.

lamaroe

lamaroe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Hello,

Thank you both for your response. In re to murray, I assume you meant port, and yes I am set to the right port (usb) under print properties.

er, excuse my ignorance, but what is a self-powered usb hub? i'm guessing it's an external usb port?

Thanks again

Advertisements

deary65

deary65

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Yes you are right,it draws power from the hub and not your power unit. Worth a try,they are quit cheap.

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Double check.. if Lexmark is anything like HP or Epson, they setup their own virtual USB port to connect to..

Murray

lamaroe

lamaroe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Thank you deary65 and murray both for your responses. I appreciate your suggestion to try a usb hub, however, i think i'm going to hold off on that for a bit; maybe i can manage without it is what i'm hoping.

i did search through google (lexmark doesn't appear to have a site search bar) for a virtual usb port but i got nothing.

i wonder if this means anything, though. I uninstalled the software and have tried reinstalling it after disabling usb error messaging, which is what one of the knowledge base documents on lexmark's site suggested. the setup keeps freezing up, and i am beginning to wonder if there is something wrong with the cd... i have downloaded the driver before from lexmark and that was of no help, but here i go trying again.

thanks again for your responses, they are very much appreciated.

lamaroe

lamaroe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
ah my frustration.;)

i just downloaded the driver from lexmark and have returned to an error i previously had with this driver: when windows install wizard tries to install it, an error message comes up saying there was an error copying lxbmpm9.dll but it oscillates between a bunch of .dll files each time i try to install it. i feel like smashing the printer and then the computer respectively :tazz:

this problem was solved previously by deleting temporary files which i tried again but no difference. i'm beginning to suspect that this printer was cheap because of this impossibility! from communication errors to not installing now, i don't have a clue as to how this is fixable.

I do however appreciate all your responses and suggestions to help me with this and hope that you continue to do so. Thank you so much, I really appreciate your help.

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Okay.. do you have the Lexmark plugged in when you go to setup the drivers, etc??

Murray